Hello from Missouri

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
PSDKevin
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Hello from Missouri

Post by PSDKevin »

Hi all. Not to bore you completely, but I did 20 years in the Army and my last duty station was Ft Leonard Wood, Missouri. I still work for the Army at the Military Police School. I'm mostly an old school woodworker, but I really want to learn CNC and adding metal elements to my woodworking. I used the GI Bill to start a welding degree, but unfortunately that program folded up before I was able to finish. So I know enough about welding to be dangerous.

I bought a Langmuir crossfire (so far I love that little machine) and I'm trying really hard (unsuccessfully so far) to learn Fusion 360 and the CNC process.

Love this site and I'm looking forward to picking a few brains in here.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hello from Missouri

Post by weldguy »

Hey Kevin, thanks for your 20 year service! Awesome you've got yourself a small table to work with I am sure you will have have a lot of fun with it after a little frustration. Keep it simple to start, many want to cut a huge tattered flag or something for their 1st project but there is plenty to learn and its easy to get frustrated at first. Plenty of help here so best of luck :Like
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard 20 years good man :Yay there are few Langmuir crossfire users here to help using it. As to Fusion 360 There have been posts here about it not being really made for Plasma CNC work, for art type you may want to look at Inkscape (free lots of tutorials on YouTube). There are a few free CAD programs out there too like QCAD. If you want to look for things here just use the search function in the upper right. Sometime changing the wording gives different results. :HaHa
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

Welcome Kevin, I am also in Missouri, I'm in Columbia, MO area. Holler if you need anything!
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
PSDKevin
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PSDKevin »

i will take you up on that. My son is a student at MU and I make it up your way a lot.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”