CNC newbie

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
JayWal
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

CNC newbie

Post by JayWal »

Hello from Canada, new to the forum and to CNC in general but willing to learn.

I'm currently working on a CNC router to plasma conversion and need to ditch all the old electronics for new and better. Which is way out of my area of expertise, looking to get some good advice here
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: CNC newbie

Post by acourtjester »

There are different options for you to research. You can use Windows based with USB which maybe the cheapest route. You can also go the Linux route, or contact CandCNC for one of their packages. You also have different route for the THC portion to but I would stay away from Proma SD. The prices very on those also. There is a good selection of members that have gone different routes here and will most likely soon reply to your request. If you have follow up questions for any member be sure to spell out (give enough info) where you are having interest.
Just remember this is a remote question and answer so the clearer the question the better the answers.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: CNC newbie

Post by robertspark »

If you have mach3 then ok use it ..... If not do not waste your money as it is no longer developed and look at other software options.

Linuxcnc is free.... But Linux can be love it or hate it... Plasmac which is a new plasma front end is very interesting.., but you will need hardware for a THC and motion control board in my opinion... But all can be had for much less that the cost of a mach3 or mach4 licence

Uccnc is in the same cost as linuxcnc in my opinion.... But the addition of a THC will bump it up to the equivalent cost of mach3 (which you would need to buy a motion controller for AND a THC on top of the mach3/4 licence cost)

A router table and a plasma table are different in my opinion.... One is designed for cutting forces.... So needs mass to combat vibration and powerful axis motors.... Plasma has no cutting forces but needs high acceleration and (imho) a lightweight gantry plus carriage.....

You may not want to bin ALL of the electronics.... Given you may have servo or stepper motors and motor drives that could be reused... If they accept step and direction signals then great.... If they require analog inputs now your software and connecting hardware options become narrower... But not non existent....

Basically we need more information from you to help (photos part numbers etc.... Anything searchable)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”