new member need help

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
jdogtx
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

new member need help

Post by jdogtx »

Hi Guys, i just bought a used 4x4 plamsacam, the guy i bought it from got it a a school auction, he was having trouble getting the computer to communicate with the unit but the controller lit up and it just seemed to be a connection issue. i bought machine and hooked it all up and now the controller wont even light up or turn on? any ideas? or can you get another one, or get someone to fix? thanks!

Jason
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: new member need help

Post by plasmanewbie »

Mega bummer. Hate to say it but a call into PlasmaCam may be the only solution but it will likely cost you :Sad
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

If they wanted silly money I'd be inclined to bin the controller and install something else (controller + drivewise) as the table mechanically and the motors will more than likely be fine
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I'd be inclined to agree with Rob.

Plasmacam will have $$$$ in their eyes when you call them. New hardware, that will be $$$$ please.

Do you have the original install software ? If the table uses an older version, PC don't "support" it anymore, and if you ever need to reinstall the software, you have to pay $$$$ for the latest version, otherwise your table is a dead piece of metal.

Some people here think I'm being ridiculous for saying PC could simply ship an old version of software to a customer, and apply a fair charge for doing so. It's nothing but a DVD iso file which can be quickly burnt to disc. But no they decide they can get more money out of people by forcing them to buy later software.

Look into a Candcnc kit to retrofit the table. You may find the price will end up the same as installing new Plasmacam hardware.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Sad to say but many in the business world are going that way. It once was you bought something you owned it but now the ugly “subscriptions” or built in “obsolesces” is now the way they go. :Sad
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

it's a difficult one really.... it's like a car you buy it all working and complete.... run it around for a while then you need a sat Nav map upgrade.... or parts.... maybe you are lucky and don't have to pay for geninue parts... but if you want assistance from the main dealer for a service it will still cost you..... and at some point the main dealer will tell you that they don't really service those cars any more or make the parts or satnav upgrades for them

however with your plasma table.... you automatically presume that the aftermarket service will be free... or minimal cost... just send a copy of a disk... copy of a manual.... update of software ..... kind of like someone who once came up with a really good idea... to design a car with a stainless steel body so it would not corrode and last for years.... probably the last car you'll ever need.... good idea but they would probably have done themselves out of long term business.... it theory was never tested (but the money disappeared De Lorean)

I think you have to appreciate sometimes you buy second hand at scrap price... you pays your money and takes your chance... and maybe like buying a second hand car or house factor in that you may need to spend a percentage on maintenance costs and unforseen / premature failure of parts.

back on topic... Plasma Cam looks like a really nice machine (well out of my price bracket)... and like a car if you want to change the engine it can be done... ... it will still have the good body and drivetrain and same performance characteristics.... just maybe not the same graphics display and widgets or templates. YMMV
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

robertspark wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:25 pm it's a difficult one really.... it's like a car you buy it all working and complete.... run it around for a while then you need a sat Nav map upgrade.... or parts.... maybe you are lucky and don't have to pay for geninue parts... but if you want assistance from the main dealer for a service it will still cost you..... and at some point the main dealer will tell you that they don't really service those cars any more or make the parts or satnav upgrades for them

however with your plasma table.... you automatically presume that the aftermarket service will be free... or minimal cost... just send a copy of a disk... copy of a manual.... update of software ..... kind of like someone who once came up with a really good idea... to design a car with a stainless steel body so it would not corrode and last for years.... probably the last car you'll ever need.... good idea but they would probably have done themselves out of long term business.... it theory was never tested (but the money disappeared De Lorean)

I think you have to appreciate sometimes you buy second hand at scrap price... you pays your money and takes your chance... and maybe like buying a second hand car or house factor in that you may need to spend a percentage on maintenance costs and unforseen / premature failure of parts.
First of all, making a car out of stainless steel would significantly increase its price, potentially having a massive impact on sales.

If Plasmacam would go out of business simply because they shipped out on old install CD to the relatively few users that either lost their original CD, or bought a 2nd hand table, then I guess they aren't doing much business anyway.

Let's think about it. As mentioned earlier, it's nothing but a file stored on a computer. We aren't talking about manufacturing older parts for which there's barely any demand, but just a file stored on disc.
It can be quickly burnt to a CD/DVD and posted out. Plasmacam can make a profit for that small time and effort it took. They could also have a disclaimer saying the old software is supplied as is, and is no longer supported.
I can bet you they have those older install files sitting right there on their hard drive. Of course it's completely up to them if they choose to refuse to do the simple actions mentioned above. Time will tell whether they get a reputation as a company that will squeeze a dollar out of their customers every chance they get.

I've just been on the Candcnc downloads page, and see they still have an install file for the older systems that they don't even sell anymore. That's the difference between a "squeeze our customers" company like Plasmacam, and one like Candcnc. Obviously, doing that is not affecting their current sales and they aren't going out of business due to doing it.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

different business models ..... you pays your money's you takes your chance .... you get the product as it is ... if you loose the disc (or whatever medium it came in) / you scratch or break it ... that's your fault + loss .... why should the company pay for your error ...

if the device stops working and you need support..... well does someone not deserve to be paid... after all you did have a working machine at some point.... now you broke it or it wore out from use (end of economic life)....

if you sell it.... and that person wants support but has no relationship to the manufacturer should they not pay something for support and assistance.... we all have bills to pay in life... food to buy .... mortgages / rent to pay....

mine and your viewpoint will not change how anyone operates there business

I do feel sorry for the plasmacam users who buy a second hand table only to find what looks like a really nice table.... only to find that you bought a nice sculpture with some nice servo motors.... all because it looked like a good deal and maybe they did not search the forums to find out what plasmacam requires for support and assistance of their product and licencing.... buyer beware.... but it's still a nice starting point to factor in the cost and throw that controller in the bin and buy some drives (or hack the existing ones... open the yellow box get the soldering iron out....) and add in a motion controller and pc... for about £200 you could probably install a UC motion controller and uccnc on a PC and you are done... how you would hack the yellow controller box I am not sure.... very little info on the net.... but I'd be inclined to take the lid off and post a few photos of I had a pcam controller... especially one that's a brick unless you fork out $$$$
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There is a video on YouTube of Tom from CandCNC reworking a non-functioning table for a customer, I would not use the term hacking as that is not his business model. On the other had hacking seem to an acceptable method if you stuck like jdogtx is. People on YouTube hack about anything these day, great place to find info on how to fix things. I worked on a local guys commercial router table, first to replace the PC and BOB, then he moved to a location without 220 VAC so it was to replace the remaining electronics so he could stay in business.
There are more then enough DIY video of people building their own table to learn what you need to do.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Introduce Yourself”