Oh boy, yet another new user with a new (used) plasmacam

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Williamshpc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Oh boy, yet another new user with a new (used) plasmacam

Post by Williamshpc »

Hello all,
New to the forum, after browsing for several days. As the subject line says, I've purchased a plasmacam dho 4x4 with a Miller Spectrum 3080 DC Plasma cutter via an auction site. Of course in the last few moments of the auction they updated the listing to state "no software included"... little did I know what a great feat it would take to get this thing cooking!
So far from the forum here I've learned multiple things, so thank you all.
If I understood correctly, my options are:

-Contact plasmacam directly to "transfer ownership" assuming i can get contract info from the previous owner. I do have a serial number... but that's about it as of now. I've attempted to log in to their specific help page with the serial number without success.

-possibly find an older computer running Win98 and find someone willing to "share" their 3.11 software. Being a new user I'm unable to send dm's so thats a pickle.

As I'm new to this, I guess all this is simply an introduction with a hint of "in need of the software" classic issue.

I look forward to learning from anyone willing to chime in!

Located in Nashville TN, so if anyone is remotely local (couple hrs drive) and is willing to share some experience with their machine/ tips I'm always down for a road trip!

Thanks in advance,
David Williams
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Oh boy, yet another new user with a new (used) plasmacam

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome David! Many Pcam owners here that will likely chime in and get you going the right direction. My understanding is that your best thing to do is to contact Pcam and just spend the money for the Designedge software. Haven't used it myself but apparently its pretty awesome and worth the money. Let us know how it works out for you.
Williamshpc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Williamshpc »

plasmanewbie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:06 am Welcome David! Many Pcam owners here that will likely chime in and get you going the right direction. My understanding is that your best thing to do is to contact Pcam and just spend the money for the Designedge software. Haven't used it myself but apparently its pretty awesome and worth the money. Let us know how it works out for you.
Much appreciated on the welcome!

I just picked up my machine today, little rough but at a decent cost. I'll get in touch with plasmacam tomorrow likely in regards to the ownership transfer. Anyone know if there is an adapter for this older IBM printer cable that's used to connect to the computers? I'm assuming ebay/ Amazon will be a spot to look, just wonder if converting it to USB will interfere with its operation?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Williamshpc wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:25 pm Hello all,
New to the forum, after browsing for several days. As the subject line says, I've purchased a plasmacam dho 4x4 with a Miller Spectrum 3080 DC Plasma cutter via an auction site. Of course in the last few moments of the auction they updated the listing to state "no software included"... little did I know what a great feat it would take to get this thing cooking!
So far from the forum here I've learned multiple things, so thank you all.
If I understood correctly, my options are:

-Contact plasmacam directly to "transfer ownership" assuming i can get contract info from the previous owner. I do have a serial number... but that's about it as of now. I've attempted to log in to their specific help page with the serial number without success.

-possibly find an older computer running Win98 and find someone willing to "share" their 3.11 software. Being a new user I'm unable to send dm's so thats a pickle.

As I'm new to this, I guess all this is simply an introduction with a hint of "in need of the software" classic issue.

I look forward to learning from anyone willing to chime in!

Located in Nashville TN, so if anyone is remotely local (couple hrs drive) and is willing to share some experience with their machine/ tips I'm always down for a road trip!

Thanks in advance,
David Williams
Welcome to the forum David! You will need to have the previous legal owner of the table fill out the Plasmacam Transfer of Ownership form and provide it to you. You will then fill in your own personal information and submit the form to Plasmacam for approval. If you are not able to obtain this form, then I'm afraid what you have there is a pile of spare parts as Plasmacam will not deal with you or sell you any software or parts unless you are the legal registered owner of the table. Each software license is legally tied to a particular table and Plasmacam keeps very close track of who has what table and which software. The 3.11 software is no longer supported, but if you are able to become the legal owner then you will be able to upgrade to Design Edge software along with the necessary hardware upgrades. If you plan to stick with the 3.11, then I would recommend joining one of the Plasmacam Facebook groups as there are members there using 3.11 who may be willing to help you out.

David

PS - Here is a link to the most active group. You will need to request membership. Robert Johnson is the Moderator.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PlasmaC ... &ref=notif
plasmacam facebook group.jpg
Williamshpc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Williamshpc »

David, thanks for the great info! I spoke with plasmacam today and they sent over the transfer paperwork. I'm in the process of getting that completed asap. They also stated my 3.11 and machine are outdated and no longer supported so the suggestion to upgrade the software was given @ $1995 to design edge. Next option they provided was a machine and software upgrade @ $6980.
But, if no transfer form is completed you're correct. I just bought a pile of scrap metal! But if that's the case, I may be doing a conversion to stepper motors and arduino just to get this scrap metal moving for me!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Williamshpc wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:01 pm David, thanks for the great info! I spoke with plasmacam today and they sent over the transfer paperwork. I'm in the process of getting that completed asap. They also stated my 3.11 and machine are outdated and no longer supported so the suggestion to upgrade the software was given @ $1995 to design edge. Next option they provided was a machine and software upgrade @ $6980.
But, if no transfer form is completed you're correct. I just bought a pile of scrap metal! But if that's the case, I may be doing a conversion to stepper motors and arduino just to get this scrap metal moving for me!
Join the Facebook group I linked to above. There are other 3.11 users there who may be willing to work with you and your lack of software issue.

David
Williamshpc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Williamshpc »

Looks like that'll be my first plan of attack, as the seller cannot find the software. It's funny, I've held off creating a Facebook account this long... guess those days are over!

Thanks again for the help everyone.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Williamshpc wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:44 pm Looks like that'll be my first plan of attack, as the seller cannot find the software. It's funny, I've held off creating a Facebook account this long... guess those days are over!

The seller should be looking for the PC that HAS PlasmaCam 3.11 installed onto it. Do not search for the DVD. Look for the computer that has 3.11 installed. The computer that the previous owner was using to run the table. That computer was supposed to be sold WITH the table.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Williamshpc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Williamshpc »

Joe,

You're a legend! I appreciate all the information and experiences you shared with me earlier. I'll reach out likely Monday afternoon to see which day you're able/ willing to stop in and check out my "scrap heap ".
- David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Williamshpc wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:44 pm Looks like that'll be my first plan of attack, as the seller cannot find the software. It's funny, I've held off creating a Facebook account this long... guess those days are over!

As I said above, I do highly recommend the PlasmaCAM CNC Tips, Talk, Trade facebook group. There are many knowledgeable members willing to share their knowledge, and Robert Johnson (moderator) I consider to be the defacto Plasmacam expert for all things Plasmacam. He has many great instructional videos at his Learn Plasmacam Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/@LearnPlasmacam/videos
learn plasmacam.jpg
Robert also has a great selection of Plasmacam related parts and accessories at his online store
https://www.490creations.com/collection ... m-products
learn plasmacam 1.jpg
As far as testing out your table, if you can find someone in your area willing to bring a PC with DesignEdge (or 3.11) installed to your shop for testing/troubleshooting - then that would be the quickest way to know if your table is in working order. If it does have problems, then the Video Manual explains how to use the Diagnostics to isolate the faulty component or components. If your table is found to be in working order with controller fully functional, then your best bet would probably be to register your table with Plasmacam and buy the Design Edge software upgrade for approx. $1995. Once you get your table up and running and cutting some parts (ie. making some money) then you can decide later if you want to spend the additional funds for the DHC2 mechanical upgrade.

Of course another option (assuming your table is in working order) would be to look for a 3.11 installation disc or see if you can locate the original pc that was being used with your table by the original owner with 3.11 already installed. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

David
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

I guess I am to simple. 430 some videos would boggle me, for one thing no time to behold. I use easy to use software like inkscape and turbocad that can be learned in a few tutorials. Good for you if you have the time to post that many tho.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

cutnweld wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:06 pm I guess I am to simple. 430 some videos would boggle me, for one thing no time to behold. I use easy to use software like inkscape and turbocad that can be learned in a few tutorials. Good for you if you have the time to post that many tho.
You never know what you might learn from watching Robert's videos, or mine!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Williamshpc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Williamshpc »

Well, I gotta give the legendary Mr. Joe Jones an immeasurable THANK YOU!! Joe was kind enough to make the trip down to where my table is being stored, helped me troubleshoot the hardware for hours, figured out what was wrong (carriage servo motor) and even brought updated components that we temporarily installed just to show what it would be worth to upgrade to a DHC2! He cut a few parts to show how everything worked then even walked me through some of the design edge features! An absolute legend!
Needless to say, I'm hooked!

To everyone else that's chimed in for advice and assistance, thank you as well! I plan to be here for a long while now, so please bear with my forthcoming 1 billion questions 😂
Last edited by Williamshpc on Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Very nice! Glad you have a plan to get up and going!
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

That's fantastic, great story to start my day. Hat's off to you Joe :Like :Yay :Like
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

PRINT THIS OUT FOR YOUR REFERENCE when talking with PlasmaCam on the phone.

As I think about things, you will get a PC, install 3.11 and fuss with it just long enough to see that you REALLY need DesignEdge, and you will have to purchase a DesignEdge license for your DHC 4x4 table. 3.11 does NOT have the auto height sensing capability, and you will quickly discover just what an advantage that really is.

Now, I do sell a rail lift kit that gives aDHC2 six inches of Z axis travel. Your table temporarily has my carriage assembly with the extended backing plate and longer ACME screw, because we cannibalized your DHC carriage to move that motor to the gantry to replace the original faulty DHC gantry motor, which revealed the problem, and got us cutting! Due to the fact that a DHC originally only has 1.5" of Z, the kit would give you 5.5" of Z, still a great improvement.

With this additional Z travel distance, you MUST purchase the CSB Customizable Size Upgrade so the software can "see" the higher Z travel range. There are some other benefits to the CSU upgrade as well, and we discussed those.

No need to discuss the other things we talked about HERE as they are not beneficial to other DHC owners.

So I know that money does not grow on trees, and you probably did not expect to have to invest more money into this table. However, if you are going to use it as you have described, I strongly suggest you consider the following options.

1. PlasmaCam may still now offer some "DHC to DHC2 or DHC+" upgrade package. I am not sure of the details, You would have to call them directly.

I really do not know how PlasmaCam does things. I wish they would PUBLISH your various options in a "menu" of everything that is available, and let you choose. But you almost have to stumble onto other packages and offers they have, that may save you money.

I BELIEVE that they will sell you BASIC DesignEdge software upgrade and it comes with a new controller box (you have to send the old one in, I believe) plus one additional "seat." You can install DesignEdge onto a second PC or a laptop. I think it also comes with METRIC UNITS upgrade, and more. You will need a new gantry assembly for the new carriage assembly. I do not know if that is included, or extra ...

They have something called a "DHC+ Upgrade" but I do not know the specific details, or the cost.

You will NEED: (Don't PANIC!)

1. A new DHC2 Gantry Assembly, Complete - This will come with a new gantry motor and all of the other components. Part# 2-712 $1,795 :Wow

2.A new carriage assembly, complete Part# 2-524 $1,995.00 :Wow

3. A new DHC2 controller $3,000 :Wow

4. A new Main Wiring Harness Part# 2-200 $198.00 (I have one here I can sell!)

5.BASIC DesignEdge software Part# US2 $1,995.00 (Upgrades you from 3.11 "PlasmaCAM software to DesignEdge, which is different software)

6. BASIC Height Control (May come with Basic DesignEdge) Part# HCB $998

7. ADVANCED Height Control Upgrade Part # HCA $1,996 (Gives advanced height control to a table that has NO height control)

8. AVANCED Machine Control Upgrade Part# MCU $998

9. Customizable Size Upgrade Part# CSB $998 to give your table 6" of Z, and the ability to define a different table size work area. This is handy if you stack parts at the end of a table. you can redefine the cut area to exclude that space, so the gantry does not knock over th epiles of cut parts at the end of the table. :HaHa

I do not know what PlasmCam will offer you as options. Some of the above may be INCLUDED in a single $nnn.nn package, or you may choose to combine things for your best price. Tell them you want to end up with a DHC2 4x4 with customizable size upgrade, and the three main ADVANCED software options, (Advanced Design, Advanced Height, Advanced Machine control) Work your best price on th package, and I will train you on the software for FREE, via ZOOM, or in person when I run down to visit.

The 3.11 software may get you started, but there is an old expression ... "Once you've tasted STEAK, you don't want HOT DOGS!"

Discuss anything with me via private emails and NOT through the Owners Community Forum, because NOTHING is private there.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

Very kind of you Joe to make a personal visit to help out :Like Wow, your list of required parts adds up to about 12K! Maybe I am cheap but that seems crazy to me and sounds like the only thing he won't be replacing is the sheet metal, bolt together base, and the side rails...oh and maybe that cheesy overhead boom! I think I would work with what I had for a while, save up the 12k, tack on a few more bucks, and buy a more robust machine. Maybe I am missing something here.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

DieselFumes wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:38 pm Wow, your list of required parts adds up to about 12K! Maybe I am cheap but that seems crazy to me and sounds like the only thing he won't be replacing is the sheet metal, bolt together base, and the side rails...oh and maybe that cheesy overhead boom! I think I would work with what I had for a while, save up the 12k, tack on a few more bucks, and buy a more robust machine. Maybe I am missing something here.
My first advice to him was to just buy a new DHC2 table and the updated software, and SELL the working 3.11 Controller box for $1,500.00 or whatever. That is the BEST (and most expensive) option.

Beyond that, converting the DHC to a DHC2 with the CSU Customizable Size Upgrade is the next best option.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Happy to hear you've got if figured out! Keep us posted with your progress.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks Robert! That $6980 figure is the same one provided to the OP by Plasmacam. The Plasmacam info below does not mention metrics specifically (at least that I can see) but that is good information to know. I guess when they say "advanced options" that includes the metric units.

PS - This information is posted in plain view at the Plasmacam Owner's Community Forum.

David
DHC upgrade offer.jpg
DHC+ Upgrade Info.pdf
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 53 times
dhc2 upgrade 1.jpg
dhc2 upgrade 1.jpg (95.14 KiB) Viewed 4411 times
Last edited by adbuch on Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Williamshpc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Williamshpc »

Well everyone, I know this is an old thread but had to chime in with my updates thanks to Mr. Jones!

Joe was able to stop in several weeks ago, and the initial idea was to get his parts back haha, but he helped me switch some pulleys, test motors... come to find out the only issue was the wiring harness on the DHC models are not interchangeable. Upon machine initialization, we had one motor that moved super slow in the correct direction. we initially chocked that up to a cooked motor and I was ready to get a replacement when one of us said "what if the wires are backwards??" tried it the other way round and bingo bango! So if any new PC owners run into the issue of a slow moving motor... try switching the wire harness plugs from motor to motor!
I'm going to be running this 3.11 until I can afford to upgrade to DHC2 and Design Edge, I'd also like to expand this table as I'm getting bigger and bigger with my designs!
I know there aren't many left out here running the Dinosaur 3.11, but every time I attempt to use the "smooth" feature on an imported image... it turns to circles!? any ideas as to why?? I feel this issue alone may drive me to taking out a loan for the Design edge haha!

Thanks again for your help Joe! Next time I'm buying lunch!!
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Thats all good news, glad it worked out and thanks formposting your results, could help someone in the future.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Williamshpc wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:54 am every time I attempt to use the "smooth" feature on an imported image... it turns to circles!? any ideas as to why??
I will make a short video to explain WHY those %^*&# circles appear and how to get rid of them.

I am glad you were able to secure a copy of 3.11 to get you going. I bring everything with me, along with thumb drives full of art files and other things. I don't have or use 3.11, so I can't really answer questions about how to use it properly.

I've said many times that those boxes of old DVDs at flea markets contain a lot of old computer software. I find old FUNKY FONTS disks from the late 80's when they were all the rage, and those (font name).ttf fonts STILL load into modern PCs and work great. It is fun to flip through the assortments. I occasionally find something for fifty cents or a dollar that I just add to my bag-o-tricks. I DID find an old PlasmaCAM 3.11 DVD once, but I didn't buy it because I already had DesignEdge with all of the upgrades, and I was not training or making You Tube videos at the time. I should have grabbed it, I guess.

Once you DO move to DesignEdge you won't want to switch back. Of course, the capabilities of 3.11 in the older software do almost everything and I hear it DOES allow you to install the software onto more than one PC without needing to pay for extra seats, while those same capabilities in DesignEdge are sold piecemeal by PlasmaCam, and you have to mortgage your home or sell your first born child to get nearly everything. :lol:

I did buy the Full Monty of upgrades with my first table, except for METRIC UNITS, which I bought later just to round out the package. I was trained from childhood TV toy commercials to "Collect the whole set!" so I did. That $14.5K ???) initial software investment was a scary proposition, but I do not regret it now. My main table also has ten seats, due to my plans to set up a PlasmaCam Bed and Breakfast weekend training seminar here at my home, Once Upon a Time. If I thought the country was going to hold together :Sad I would do that today. I honestly do not believe America as we once knew it, will even exist in 18 months.

I know it angers PlasmaCam, but I tell people NOT to purchase the pipe cutting upgrade UNLESS you are also going to purchase another complete gantry assembly (at the minimum) to set up a separate pipe cutting jig. You mount that second gantry assembly onto a rolling sawhorse, and move it over to the table when you want to cut pipe. Then you need to move the carriage from your table to the AUX gantry, and you cut the pipe without needing to disassemble your table, as their original pipe cutter design required.

For the Cadillac setup, you also buy a second carriage assembly, and magnetic torch mount or even a separate torch! Do all of this immediately after your rich uncle dies and leaves you his fortune.

With a separate gantry AND carriage on a rolling sawhorse, you only need to move the main wiring harness from the table motors to the sawhorse motors (PlasmaCam! Give us EXTENSION CABLES!!!) and move the torch to that carriage mag mount to cut pipe. This requires your torch to be a quick disconnect setup on the boom arm, so you can move it without needing to snip zip ties or cut tape, etc. DO NOT USE rare Earth magnets to attach your torch cable to the boom arm. It does not interfere with the torch flame, but you end up with giant fuzzy balls of plasma dust! :HaHa

You CAN just buy a second gantry assembly alone, and use PlasmaCam's original setup, by mounting the gantry onto the rails as it was designed with PlasmaCam's amazingly clunky but still functional pipe cutting assembly, moving the carriage and torch to that gantry tube, and cutting pipe that way, but I like options, and rolling an ASSEMBLED and ready-to-go pipe cutter over to the table and connecting two cables is a LOT less physical work than temporarily assembling their pipe cutter onto a rail.

BTW, it was YOU who suggested the cable swap! I missed the error and did not think to swap the cables, which solved the slow motor issue. That is the first time I ran across that issue. I JUST cleared out the stuff from my truck yesterday! I have been driving around with the tubs and plasma machine in the truck bed since I left in ... July?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

caretech
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by caretech »

Skimming this thread makes me marvel that Pcam is even in business. Hook you with a cheap lure, reel you in with $ and $$ and $$$ and more $$$$$ until.... your cheap table isn't so cheap any more. I'm more glad than ever that I built my own table. I own it, I own its electronics, I own its software (Linux). There isn't a license or ownership transfer madness to be found anywhere on my table.

I have a feeling that Pcam exists for only 2 reasons.

1. The innocent who purchase a "cheap" table, then are in an unhandy situation where they need to get forkin' more cash; and
2. Those who have a strange brand loyalty to them. :)

No punches thrown at anyone here, just an observation. Glad to have never started down this rabbit hole.
Shop-built 5x10 table powered by QtPlasmaC
Hypertherm PM 85 machine torch
Lincoln PowerMig 255C
Lincoln Square Wave Tig 255
Ermak SpeedBend Pro
caretech

Post by caretech »

A few posts above, you said that "anything you want to do with Plasmacam is $$$$$."

I just bought a used CNC press brake for $35,000. A much more expensive piece of machinery than any pcam table. The machinery dealer is more than happy to talk to me about my 11-year old machine, provide support for it, and so on. No transfer form to fill out. I dare say the company that built the machine (Ermaksan in this case) cranks through a lot more $ per year than pcam does. This high-n-mighty attitude from a little company that caters to hobbyists makes me shake my head.

The shop up the road has a big ol' Messer table. Built a lot heavier than my home brew table, and certainly light years ahead of a pcam for build quality. With a 260 amp HD plasma, this table is hundreds of thousands new. No membership transfer process here either. Buy it used, get it set up, use it, profit. That's exactly what they did. Why should paperwork turn it into a boat anchor?

I can't for the life of me figure out why it should matter to pcam if a TABLE is registered or not. Software? yeah ok, sure everyone does that. (Except Linux and the whole open source community, of course!!) But the hardware? Give me a break. Theft is a horrible thing. But does it matter that much to pcam if one of their blue and yellow pieces of tin was stolen? I doubt it.
Shop-built 5x10 table powered by QtPlasmaC
Hypertherm PM 85 machine torch
Lincoln PowerMig 255C
Lincoln Square Wave Tig 255
Ermak SpeedBend Pro

Return to “Introduce Yourself”