Hello from Michigan!

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Danj4164
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Hello from Michigan!

Post by Danj4164 »

Hello all,
I am just getting started in a small side business to help with extra $'s, and hopefully do this part time when I retire. I have purchased the Langmuir Pro table and Razor weld plasma cutter. I am using Fusion 360 for Cad and Cam and it is working pretty well, starting to get the hang of drawing the files with this cad software. I have used many different cad software's for design in my working career so it has made it a little easier but still a steep learning curve to get more efficient.
I get a lot of my files from Etsy especially the more artsy ones (I am not an artist lol), I really don't like to make wedding signs and that stuff in general but it is helping make some income as I get started.

I am slowly adding items to my shop with the goal of being a full service fabrication shop and the plasma table being the starting point of a project, then having the ability to bend, weld and machine to complete the project.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you and contribute as learn new things.

Dan
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hello from Michigan!

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, sounds like you will fit right in, there are many projects posted here for you to download and use. The search function in the upper right is helpful to find past post with info. Try using different wording to expand the search, as we don't all call somethings the same way. :HaHa :HaHa
Also there are posts about pricing that may help with the startup.
Have fun
Tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome Dan, sounds like you have a good game plan. Fusion although great for mechanical design it is not so great for designing artistic stuff. You may want to dabble in Inkscape or Corel for that but if your just buying your art files than it won't matter. Share some pics of your work and your setup if you get the chance.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Welcome to the forum Dan! The Langmuir/Fusion 360 combo is a great one. You previous cad experience will help you a lot. How far along are you with putting together your shop? What sorts of sheet metal and machining tool/machines do you have so far, and which ones are on you list? I started out with a Craftsman 12" metal lathe about 40 years ago, still have it and it has served me well. It's nice to have the capabilities to do "full service fabrication" and great fun as well.
David
Danj4164
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Danj4164 »

Here a some pictures of my setup so far...don't mind the mess it is a work in progress. I have also included some thing I have cut out.
Wedding sign
Wedding sign
Welcome sign
Welcome sign
Plasma Table
Plasma Table
old truck Sign
old truck Sign
Air Compressor
Air Compressor
Shop
Shop
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Wow that monogram is a cut above, that will make some of us to improve on what we have done in the past. :Yay :HaHa :HaHa
Thanks for posting
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Jason@bc
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Jason@bc »

Looks like you're off to a good start Dan. There is a ton of information on this forum about pretty much anything related to metal fabrication, you'll find lots of good files and if you're in a pickle there are some very generous people on here who are not afraid to help out in any way they can, nice work you've posted by the way.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Dan- those are some nice cuts! And I love your workspace - very rustic with the corrugated sides. I've got the same on my workshop. Don't have to worry about the termites.
David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”