Hello from southern Virginia

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
camobob
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hello from southern Virginia

Post by camobob »

Hi everyone
I've been dabbling in metalwork for over 40 years but have always been limited in space and time to spend.
Recently retired and finally have the room for a plasma table so I'm psyched!
I've started reading up on build vs buy and what brands are out there - wow, I have a lot to learn.
I plan to make smaller parts so no need for anything larger than 4 or 5 feet.
I want to be able to do 3d visualizations and cut parts up to 3/4" that are weld ready.
Budget is up in the air at this point. I honestly have no idea what something 'decent' costs.

If anyone knows of a good thread or has any advice please let me know.

Off to search the forums......

Bob
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hello from southern Virginia

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, and happy retirement, many members here are a source for great input. You can use the search function in the upper right to look around, by naming your topic. There are many DIY types here too if you want to go that way. Many use Fusion 360 for the 3-D visualizations of a project planning. If you are cutting 3/4" thick and looking for a smaller table it may be somewhat of a mismatch as to buying one, building one is a different story you can select and build what you want/need.
Have fun
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Welcome to the forum Bob! I am really excited for you as you start off on your new journey into the cnc plasma world. The Hypertherm 45xp (which I recommend) is rated at 5/8" thickness for mild steel, but will actually cut 3/4" and thicker using edge start (with reduced duty cycle of course). I would normally recommend the Hypertherm 65 or 85, but the jury is still out as to the new SYNC machines and consumable cartridges.
45xp cutting thickness.jpg
Langmuir makes some great entry level tables, and I have heard nothing but good reviews from customers. Of course there are more expensive tables out there as well. I personally use the Plasmacam DHC2 4x4 and am quite pleased with the table and software. As Tom mentioned, the DIY approach is another way to go - depending on your wants and needs.

Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists, easy to learn, and a great tool for creating 3-dimensional models for visualization before cutting. Let us know if you have specific questions and we will be more than happy to try to answer them for you.

Good Luck!!

David
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome Bob, sounds exciting! If I was in your shoes and you are mechanically inclined and decent with computers I would go the DIY route. You can get so much more for your money and then you know exactly what you have and how to repair it if needed. There are a few off the shelf electronics packages that simplify the computer and automation portion of it. If you are unsure if this is something you are capable of you will be best to just bite the bullet and buy one. Indeed many of the smaller tables are not very heavy but that is not the case for Start Lab, ShopSabre and some others. They make very robust systems with smaller footprints. A 45XP will keep you away from the new SYNC stuff but honestly if you plan to cut 3/4" more than once in a blue moon I would go with the Powermax 85. Best of luck and keep us in the loop.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Bob I sent an private message from here for you.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:17 am Welcome Bob, sounds exciting! If I was in your shoes and you are mechanically inclined and decent with computers I would go the DIY route. You can get so much more for your money and then you know exactly what you have and how to repair it if needed. There are a few off the shelf electronics packages that simplify the computer and automation portion of it. If you are unsure if this is something you are capable of you will be best to just bite the bullet and buy one. Indeed many of the smaller tables are not very heavy but that is not the case for Start Lab, ShopSabre and some others. They make very robust systems with smaller footprints. A 45XP will keep you away from the new SYNC stuff but honestly if you plan to cut 3/4" more than once in a blue moon I would go with the Powermax 85. Best of luck and keep us in the loop.
The only reason I suggested the 45xp is that the non-SYNC 85 is no longer available. I use both the 45xp and 85 on my tables. Until Hypertherm offers an adapter to replace the SYNC cartridges with standard Duramax consumables, I personally would steer clear of any of the SYNC machines for now.

I agree Plasmanewbie that the DIY approach could be more cost effective (not counting ones time to build) and could be alot of fun. I got the impression from Bob's post that he was probably more inclined to purchase a turn-key system. But - I will look forward to hearing Bob's response. If I personally had the time to build another DIY table, I would probably do it just for the fun of it. As Tom can attest to, these DIY builds are very enjoyable and a great chance to learn some new things.

David
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

adbuch wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:05 am
The only reason I suggested the 45xp is that the non-SYNC 85 is no longer available. I use both the 45xp and 85 on my tables. Until Hypertherm offers an adapter to replace the SYNC cartridges with standard Duramax consumables, I personally would steer clear of any of the SYNC machines for now.
Oh ya I get that David and it is good advice as I am not a fan of the new SYNC stuff either. I just thought he may get frustrated with the 45XP on 3/4" pretty quickly and there is no other choice but the 85 SYNC so what's a guy to do.

I never liked the push button cars with no keys but eventually I will likely be forced to drive one, and likely be forced to use a SYNC machine it's one of those situations.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thermal Dynamics would be my alternative choice for a non-SYNC higher amp cutter.
David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”