New User in NorCal

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Squarebody
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New User in NorCal

Post by Squarebody »

Hi Everyone,
Dennis here from Napa, CA. New user to CNC and loving it, although the learning curve can be frustrating. Mainly I am a hobbiest but I'm nearing retirement next year I'm starting to think about how I can incorprate CNC into other endeavers. So getting on this site is more about ideas and maybe even some collaborations on projects leaning into automotive accessories. I'm not hugely interested in sign-making or BBQs. I'm focused more on creating after market products for the Chevy C-10 (Squarebody) truck followers. I also do property management and I using the CNC to create custom accoutrements for the home and property. Fireplace mantles, kitchen racks, gates, etc.. Just about anything around the home.

The machine: Went back and forth about buy vs. build and since my time is limited right now I bought. I'm on couple other user groups and they have been extremely helpful for problem solving with some machine operations. What I'm looking for now is ideas and tapping into user experiences. For example, the machine I bought is the STV 4x8. It is a decent entry level CNC, but I'm not crazy about the MyPlasma processor or software it runs on. I'm hoping to find some input on upgrading to a more robust processor running MACH3 or ???. I guess that will be my first goal on this site.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers!
Dennis
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New User in NorCal

Post by TJS »

Welcome. I have been running my table for about 2 years now. Most every project be it personal or for a customer I incorporate my table into them. Signs and decorations are cool as there are many canned files you can modify from here or even etsy. I made a coffee sign for a customer and grabbed a whole bunch of coffee themed files from etsy for a few bucks. A lot of knowledge here.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New User in NorCal

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard Dennis! There is lots of great information and files to be shared on this site, so I think you will have a lot of fun here. We would love to see some photos of some of your projects, and maybe your table setup as well.
Thanks,
David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”