auto darkening welding helmets

All topics related to mig welding, tig welding, spot welders, flame cutting, etc.
mcagauto
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

auto darkening welding helmets

Post by mcagauto »

hi Im looking at buying a new auto darkening welding helmet any suggestions? Thanks
Home Built 5*5 table pm45
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: auto darkening welding helmets

Post by acourtjester »

I have a Miller Pro-Hobby I bought it because of the #8 to #13 shade range.
Low amp Tig was a little hard for me to see. One problem is the attachment of the removable front panel it popped out when pressing the power on button by that corner. Small DIY fix and it good now. They may have change that mount by now????
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Thumper
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thumper »

I use the Miller Elite Digital's, a welding helmet is just like everything else in that you get what you pay for. Its protecting the only set of eyes god gave you so I WONT go the cheapo route!!! The Elite's have a wide verity of adjustments to fit your needs or uses so that's my choice.. Sure their fairly expensive but what are your eyes valued at??

Just whatever you do is buy a good one,,, I burned my eyes BAD once before using a cheapo. It wouldn't darken quick enough and burned them pretty good and that SUCKED!!!!! hurt like______ !!
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Thumper wrote:I use the Miller Elite Digital's, a welding helmet is just like everything else in that you get what you pay for. Its protecting the only set of eyes god gave you so I WONT go the cheapo route!!! The Elite's have a wide verity of adjustments to fit your needs or uses so that's my choice.. Sure their fairly expensive but what are your eyes valued at??

Just whatever you do is buy a good one,,, I burned my eyes BAD once before using a cheapo. It wouldn't darken quick enough and burned them pretty good and that SUCKED!!!!! hurt like______ !!
I've had the same experience with lens reaction time with my lower end helmet. I'm not getting burnt eyes or anything but the initial bright flash is not comfortable. When I can afford it I'm going to spend a few hundred on a much higher quality welding helmet. No experience but I've heard you get a clearer view of the weld with better lenses.

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

Thumper wrote:I use the Miller Elite Digital's, a welding helmet is just like everything else in that you get what you pay for. Its protecting the only set of eyes god gave you so I WONT go the cheapo route!!! The Elite's have a wide verity of adjustments to fit your needs or uses so that's my choice.. Sure their fairly expensive but what are your eyes valued at??

Not to say your experience ins't true as if it can happen it will happen, just to follow up on what I've been informed on standards involving all auto-darkening helmets...

Regardless of the reaction time or the shade you have it set at, it is required to filter out the harmful UV rays that will give your eyes the burnt effect. The brightness on the other hand just pisses you off.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Quite a good review over at welding tips & tricks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB42War0wnA
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

I love my Lincoln Viking. It has a big viewing area and was a very good price for me being a home garage shop tinkerer.
I have had it for a couple years and haven't been let down by it.
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
mcagauto
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mcagauto »

thanks for all the info when I buy one I will post my findings
mcagauto
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mcagauto »

I went with the Lincoln Viking 3350 I love it so far sometimes I forget that I have it on. Thanks for all your help This site is the best $20 I spend all year ;) ;) ;)
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Joe243672 »

I have Miller digital elite and two optrel helmets. The optrel panoramaxx is hands down the best i have ever used. I have used lincoln,esabs and many cheap no names.
Crossfire Plasma Table
Hypertherm pm 85 cpc rs-485
Miller 252 mig
Miller dynasty 280 Tic/stick
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
4x8 precision plasma table
G5 c and cnc controls
“ the Shop “ were it all happens
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

Thanks for bringing this up... im in the market for a new hood.
Currently have a Digital Elite but thinking about the Esab A50, but the Digital infinity also looks appealing.
Im now discovering my eyes are not as good as they used to be...even thought about cheater lenses....
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Rokcrler wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:32 pm Thanks for bringing this up... im in the market for a new hood.
Currently have a Digital Elite but thinking about the Esab A50, but the Digital infinity also looks appealing.
Im now discovering my eyes are not as good as they used to be...even thought about cheater lenses....
Same issue here, just can't see like i used to and having to lighten up the shade on my helmet which is likely accelerating the decline of my eyes. I can see OK for mig welding in most cases but fine tig I can can't see much and often get walking off path which is frustrating.
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

plasmanewbie wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:34 am
Rokcrler wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:32 pm Thanks for bringing this up... im in the market for a new hood.
Same issue here, just can't see like i used to and having to lighten up the shade on my helmet which is likely accelerating the decline of my eyes. I can see OK for mig welding in most cases but fine tig I can can't see much and often get walking off path which is frustrating.
I have to setup lights around what im working on to see or i too go off path...
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

mcagauto wrote: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:22 am I went with the Lincoln Viking 3350 I love it so far sometimes I forget that I have it on. Thanks for all your help This site is the best $20 I spend all year ;) ;) ;)
Now you just need to learn not to nod prior to the bright light , it only took me 10 years to deprogram that action. :HaHa
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I have to setup lights around what im working on to see or i too go off path...
Add some lights to your helmet. There's lots of possibilities. Here's one idea.
https://www.instructables.com/Welding-m ... Lights-UP/

Or mount a headlamp to the top of your helmet.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Crazy that I just struggle through it, a helmet light is a great idea I never thought of :Like
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I bought this one about 2 years ago and love it, I do Tig with it fine. I wear my glasses under it and do not need extra lighting as talked about above.
Not bad for 78 :HaHa :Yay
https://www.eastwood.com/panoramic-view ... elmet.html
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Sweet looking helmet and I like the panoramic view, I may have to try one and not a bad price. WOW, I sure hope to be like you at 78 years of age AC, very impressive and then some. :Like
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

My older brother died at 83 from complications of dementia, so I like to keep the old mind going plus I have fun :Yay
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I actually use two different helmets - one for tig and the other for mig. For tig I use an old school Jackson with manual flip-up front lens holder, fixed shade 9 lens with magnifiers (cheaters) installed. For mig I am currently using a Lincoln auto darkening also with magnifiers installed. I purchased the Lincoln several years ago when the auto-darkening lens in my original Jackson finally died. I used that original Jackson for close to 40 years, also with magnifiers installed. Several things I don't like about the Lincoln are the weight (much heavier than my Jackson) and not so comfortable. It would also be a real pain to use when laying on your back under a car. I did recently purchase a new auto-darkening lens for my original Jackson so I can get back to the light weight more comfortable helmet for mig.

My tig helmet has a specially coated Z87 shade 9 lens, which is really great because it allow for dropping down one shade (from 10 to 9) for better visibility. I do a lot of smaller work on some of the tooling I make so I need to be able to see the details clearly. I also like the fact that when not welding I can flip up the front cover and have very good visibility because of the 2.25 magnifiers installed in the helmet plus the 2.25 glasses I wear for welding (and general shop use). The auto darkening helmets don't really go to clear when switched off, so they make it hard for me to see details while inspecting the work.
20211130_204607_resized.jpg
20211130_204613_resized.jpg
20211130_204659_resized.jpg
20211130_204626_resized.jpg
This is the Lincoln I use for mig. I don't really like it - but have been using it for at least 3 years now. It does have good visibility, but sort of heavy and not all that comfortable. I'm using a 1.75 magnifier in this one for a little bit longer focal length, as my head is usually a bit further away from the work when mig welding as opposed to tig.
20211130_204752_resized.jpg
20211130_204758_resized.jpg
20211130_204807_resized.jpg

I recently bought a replacement auto-darkening lens for my Jackson (the original finally quit after about 40 years) and I will most likely go back to this helmet for mig - particularly for out-of-position work and when laying on my back under cars.
20211130_204714_resized.jpg
20211130_204720_resized.jpg
20211130_204727_resized.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by adbuch on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

This is the replacement auto-darkening lens I just installed in the Jackson. The originals are no longer available.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TM ... UTF8&psc=1
Lincoln 2x4 auto darkening lens.jpg
Most of my welding currently is tig for some of the tooling I manufacture.
The photos show tooling that I use on my own machine. So marked up and some scratches from use.
I would not have very good luck if I tried to use my mig helmet for this sort of work - just too hard for me to see the details while I am welding.
20211130_205209.jpg
20211130_205419.jpg
20211130_205407.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:57 pm I bought this one about 2 years ago and love it, I do Tig with it fine. I wear my glasses under it and do not need extra lighting as talked about above.
Not bad for 78 :HaHa :Yay
https://www.eastwood.com/panoramic-view ... elmet.html
Tom - that is a nice looking helmet at a good price. I agree that we need to keep active with our minds going to stay sharp. I'm only 71 - so I've got a few years to go to catch up with you.
David
wheezer
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by wheezer »

After using a few helmets over the years I settled on the Optrel Crystal 2.0- the view through this helmet is amazing, extremely clear with a shade 2 at rest.Unbelievable optical quality.Light.
I keep a cheap Lincoln auto dark around for visitors/helpers which is actually a nice helmet, hundred fifty bucks IIRC.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

wheezer wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:37 am After using a few helmets over the years I settled on the Optrel Crystal 2.0- the view through this helmet is amazing, extremely clear with a shade 2 at rest.Unbelievable optical quality.Light.
I keep a cheap Lincoln auto dark around for visitors/helpers which is actually a nice helmet, hundred fifty bucks IIRC.
Wheezer - based on your recommendation - I recently purchased the Optrel Crystal 2.0 to try it out for MIG work. The magnifiers I ordered just arrived today, so I will be trying it out soon and comparing to my Jackson with Lincoln auto-darkening lens. One thing I noticed right away is how light weight it is, and very comfortable to wear. I will report back after I do some welding with it.
David
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

I have been using an older Miller Digital Elite, which I purchased at least a decade ago and just purchased a new headgear for it, which is still a bulletproof and amazing hood IMO. But I just sprung for the new Lincoln Viking 3350. I was sold on the 4C lens which has been around for a bit. But the new model now has a grind button on the outside of the helmet which looks really convenient. Most with a grind mode have to be switched over and back with the hood off. Which is the case with my older Miller Digital Elite isn't a deal breaker, But with the new Viking Just push the button and grind away! plus the clearer lens should work really good ..Its delivers today so I will play around with it and see how it works. I teach a welding class at our local apprenticeship school tonight, so I might have opportunity to play with it then.. It was medium range on the price at Bakers Supply $290 with free shipping.
Also the Vulcan from harbor freight is comparable, and apparently made by the same manufacturer. But the viewing size is a little smaller. That one is about $150 I think. But they go on sale often. No external grind button yet on theirs, but it will probably be coming soon
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)

Return to “Mig Welders, Tig Welders, Spot Welders”