Plasma Table Exhaust fan into water trap?

All topics related to smoke evacuation, ventilation, and water tables.
Jduke
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Plasma Table Exhaust fan into water trap?

Post by Jduke »

I previously had a water table and got decent results in fume/spark control.

I sold that table and made a downdraft table because I use my table fairly infrequently.

My shop is air conditioned so I don’t want to exhaust outside, add to that we frequently get dry enough that a grass fire is a concern.

I’d like to stay with downdraft, but need a way to decrease fumes and fire risk.

I have a 13gallon harbor freight dust collector that pulls the fumes in, exhaust is where I’m going to have trouble.

Has anyone tried putting the exhaust into a barrel of water as sort of a water trap?
Does it work ok ? Any problems I should try to avoid?

Thanks
Duke
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Exhaust fan into water trap?

Post by adbuch »

I seem to recall seeing some photos of a system where the exhaust was ducted outside thru the wall, and then it turned at 90 degrees and was pointing down into a water trap. I think this was just a container filled with water. Apparently most of the smoke and debris was trapped by the water. In this particular case I think the owner was attempting to mitigate airborne contamination drifting into his neighbor's yard. It would certainly be worth a try, and it must might work with the trap indoors as well. Maybe do a google search to see what you come up with.

David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Exhaust fan into water trap?

Post by weldguy »

I have also seen that done and appeared to work really well.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Plasma Table Exhaust fan into water trap?

Post by N2 Welding »

What is the principle of the design? Does the exhaust pipe get plumbed into a bucket of water where the exhaust is say 3” inches below the water level so that it will bubble through the water trapping the toxic gasses in the water?
Jduke
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Jduke »

I was thinking about just putting the exhaust pipe at the water surface, or maybe just far enough that it splashed the water pretty vigorously around a semi enclosed bucket.

I am guessing this will increase humidity in my shop if I run it much.
Although the AC should dehumidify fairly well.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

N2 Welding wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:44 am What is the principle of the design? Does the exhaust pipe get plumbed into a bucket of water where the exhaust is say 3” inches below the water level so that it will bubble through the water trapping the toxic gasses in the water?
No - exhaust exits above the water surface.
David

Return to “Water Tables, Ventilation, Air Handling”