Welding helper- off topic wasn't sure where to put it exactly- oh well :)

All topics related to bending, forming, notching, drilling, saw cutting, etc.
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Welding helper- off topic wasn't sure where to put it exactly- oh well :)

Post by tinspark »

Sometimes you need an extra hand when tac welding parts up. Magnetic welding squares sometimes mess up the arc or cannot be positioned in the right spot and do not work on non-ferrous metals. (stainless/aluminum)
I just put together the one with the spring today pictured below, which has a small high powered magnet at the base which holds well to most welding tables. I also put together a magnetic extension to give it an additional 4" or so once attached to the fixture tool. (picture 2) .
I have used the gravity type parts holder (the first picture) for years and they work great until the part or bracket gets too tall.
This new stylr (new to me anyways) works pretty well, and am not sure if it would be useful to anyone else, but by chance if you want to build one, here is where I purchased the parts (links below)
the parts were basically repurposed since I bought them for a couple of other projects several months ago. and just had them sitting around in buckets.. Also, I didn't have a 3/8" althread coupling so I tac welded 3 nuts together, but I would have preferred the latter. I also had some 3/8" althread rod in the boneyard out back and used some to make the holding rod adjustable. I also sharpened the end so that it could grab the part.

$5 bucks for a pack of springs- Home Depot
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Sp ... /203133714

$22 for a ten pack of 1" magnets- Amazon

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Welding helper- off topic wasn't sure where to put it exactly- oh well :)

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks for posting your do dad, I'm sure it will help some members. Always fun to develop a simple tool to aid in the shop.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Now that is clever, great idea :Like :Like
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Nice work on the helpers, there is days when I need a full blown robotics division to make replacement parts. :HaHa :HaHa
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:12 pm Nice work on the helpers, there is days when I need a full blown robotics division to make replacement parts. :HaHa :HaHa
hahahaha, I hear ya!! and also need 100 more vice grips to hold everything together
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I saw this post several days ago, but sort of forgot about it until now. I recently purchased something similar on Amazon from StrongHand Tools called the Grasshopper. I had seen these quite a while back, and finally decided to try one out. After hanging on the wall for several months, I finally had a use for it last week (should have taken a picture). It did come in very handy for my particular project. A bit more expensive than the diy brand, but I felt like splurging and pulled the trigger on this one.
David

https://www.amazon.com/Strong-Hand-Tool ... p_1_i&th=1
grasshopper.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

tinspark

Post by tinspark »

adbuch wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:24 am I saw this post several days ago, but sort of forgot about it until now. I recently purchased something similar on Amazon from StrongHand Tools called the Grasshopper. I had seen these quite a while back, and finally decided to try one out. After hanging on the wall for several months, I finally had a use for it last week (should have taken a picture). It did come in very handy for my particular project. A bit more expensive than the diy brand, but I felt like splurging and pulled the trigger on this one.
David

grasshopper.jpg
Those look nice.
They look like they would work about like my old school weighted jobber (pic #1)
I was looking to make one that could adjust from zero to about 10"
I have put my gravity one on various metal boxes etc to raise it up which accomplishes about the same thing.
But since I already had the magnets and springs on hand minus the frame which I burned on the table, I thought that I'd give it a whirl,
It works as well as the weighted style, but lighter and takes a lot less footprint on my weld table
I really enjoy using that thing! (cnc plas-cutter)and find ways to use it on down days =: )
Last edited by tinspark on Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tinspark wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:19 pm
adbuch wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:24 am I saw this post several days ago, but sort of forgot about it until now. I recently purchased something similar on Amazon from StrongHand Tools called the Grasshopper. I had seen these quite a while back, and finally decided to try one out. After hanging on the wall for several months, I finally had a use for it last week (should have taken a picture). It did come in very handy for my particular project. A bit more expensive than the diy brand, but I felt like splurging and pulled the trigger on this one.
David

grasshopper.jpg
Those look nice.
They look like they would work about like my old school weighted jobber (pic #1)
I was looking to make one that could adjust from zero to about 10"
I have put my gravity one on various metal boxes etc to raise it up which accomplishes about the same thing.
But since I already had the magnets and springs on hand minus the frame which I burned on the table, I thought that I'd give it a whirl,
It works as well as the weighted style, but lighter and takes a lot less footprint on my weld table
I really enjoy using that thing! (cnc plas-cutter)and find ways to use it on down says =: )
:Like :Like :Like

Return to “Metal Bending, Rolling, Notching, Drilling, Saw Cutting”