Tube Notcher

All topics related to bending, forming, notching, drilling, saw cutting, etc.
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Tube Notcher

Post by TrinityFabworks »

Just wondered if anyone has every made a tubing notcher like the Baileigh TN-250? Seems like it wouldn't be that bad using the plasma table to make something similar. If no one has one already made, I will try to get one drawn up and prototyped over the next month or so. I'm not going to make a direct copy, I really just like how it clamps the tubing! I will probably just use some cheaper, large bearing blocks off of amazon that I have lying around, and some scrap material. I just figured that at $795, it would be worth while to make one.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Tube Notcher

Post by acourtjester »

Here is a DIY type Chuck that may give you the concept for the adjustable jaws used on the tool you are wanting to build.
http://ravenview.com/blog/2010/10/17/ho ... rth-chuck/
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Thanks!
krackermike
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by krackermike »

I love creating good low cost alternatives to the big boys equip they over price. I have made a tube knotcher out of a central machine combo lathe mill. They can be bought on the cheap. Machine a vice down to center line of late with a v block vise..will always keep whatever size tube centered. Then go to rural king and get a few 7/8 top link pins..7 inches long or so..you will use to build the arbor for the hole saws face hole saws and weld true. The hole key is in the arbor..this method will not flex at all and cope pipe like its nobodys business...all for under 600 bucks or so....the Baileigh machine is thousands no to mention the rapid cut end mill they use...Im a machinist, trust me..message me and I will send pics if interested..-----Kracker
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Thanks, I will send you a dm soon! Rural king has been in my hometown for 2 years now, and its an awesome store! Everything is so cheap affordable, and decent quality. It is like Cabelas, and tractor supply had a baby
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

^ oops, I guess cheap and affordable is kind of redundant.

Return to “Metal Bending, Rolling, Notching, Drilling, Saw Cutting”