Compressed Air Lines - building a new shop

All topics related to compressed air supply.
Copp3r
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Compressed Air Lines - building a new shop

Post by Copp3r »

Hey Guys,
I'm in the process of building a new shop for my metal cutting, etc (about 30' x 50' ... heated floor and the works.

For the compressed air lines in my current building I've just run copper plumbing pipes with shut-offs, connectors & air filters as part of the system.

Just wondering if anyone out there has any fancy yet practical system in their shop that they'd care to share. Kind of a 'best practises' ...

Pics would be an added bonus...

Thanks All !!!

Copp3r / roger
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Compressed Air Lines - building a new shop

Post by beefy »

Last edited by beefy on Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
ryno fab
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ryno fab »

I ran Pex in my walls to run my air. For my tools and p-cam. It's tidy and cheep. I already had the crimper from doing my slab.
MajorMetal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by MajorMetal »

I used black iron pipe. That is what lots of paint shops use. Go to tptools.com under the air line hookup tab. There is a diagram there that shows you how to run the pipe. That is what I used and it works great to eliminate moisture. Keep your compressor as far away as possible from your plasma.
kbenz

Post by kbenz »

I used pvc originally, never again. its ok till it starts getting some age. gets brittle. Could be dangerous. iron pipe now
CandCNC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Draftsight
Hypertherm 65 machine torch
Millermatic 210
Passport plus
Spoolmate 150
Miller Bobcat 225
http://benzweldingandfabrication.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Benz-Wel ... 468?ref=hl
james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by james.davis »

30' x 50', heated floors, man that sounds nice.I put iron pipe in my 20'x 20' shop also bought a 50' retractible air hose reel
at harbor freight (really comes in handy).
Jim
drakus
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by drakus »

I wouldn't use copper pipe, not rated for the pressure that air can put out. Highly recommend black pipe over anything.

I have seen copper burst due to the pressure.
--------------------------------------------------
Ted
Pcam DHC2 with the works
PM 30, 45 & 65
Corel Draw X6 - Adobe CS5
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

I worked for a mfg. plant for 30 years in which copper was used for ALL air lines. I spent 20 of those years as the plant pressure vessel inspector and not once did I see a line rupture. But one has to keep in mind that there are three grades of copper...M,L, and K. We always used K.
M Copper Applications

* Domestic water in warm areas ( I.e. Florida )
* Heat systems nation wide
* It also can be used as a brace for thinker copper.

M copper can not be bent, Even though some plumbers get away with bending m copper by using a trick or two, its not recommended as it puts extreme pressure on the pipe wall and that could lead to busted copper lines down the road.

L Copper

L copper is the second thickness of the copper tubing levels. L copper has a wall that is twice as think as m copper and about half as think as k copper.

L Copper Applications

* Domestic water lines worldwide
* Heat lines in extra cold areas
* Irrigation systems

The other nice part about L copper tubing is that it can be bent using a tubing bender and that can come in very handy when you are doing a complete plumbing rough or plumbing renovation

K Copper

K copper has double the thickness of M copper and is strong enough to be used underground, and can also be used in more extreme potable water plumbing systems

K Copper Applications

* Underground water mains
* High pressure water mains

Allen
Copp3r

Post by Copp3r »

As they used to say on Hogan's Hero's.... Very Interesting !!!!

Thanks for the tip on the copper lines. I've never heard of any of that before !!!!

Copp3r / roger
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

I would just like to add that I have tested K Copper connections "shark bite" crimp on type, to 1500 psi before failure of the copper.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
MountainGoat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by MountainGoat »

I have had PCV air lines in my shop for 20 years and never once had a rupture or problem.
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

I have seen the results of PVC piping used for high pressure air and it as not good. The line got bumped with a cart in cold weather and had 130 PSI compressed air. It literally exploded, luckily there were no injuries.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
GPM870
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by GPM870 »

Like I told my buddy that I use to go riding motorcycle with... "Is your life worth more than the $19.00 you just spent on that tire you got on sale when it explodes?" I will say the same about PVC pipe for compressed air... "Is your life really worth more than the $2.00 you spent on the PVC pipe when it explodes?" I bet it hurts more pulling the PVC out then when it went in! IF you're lucky enough to be around.
I have a mixture of black pipe and rubber hose, it's rated at much higher pressure that I will ever run.
Gerry
Powermax 85
Sheetcam
Mach 3
4 x 4
burntables table
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

The downside to black iron is the possibility of rust in the system. As long as the air is dry, not a problem.

Allen
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

I have had PVC air lines explode. I was standing about 2 feet away from a 3" PVC drain trap coming off of my compressor that had been in use for years. When it exploded a piece gashed the side of my head and dazed me for a minute or two. It sounded like a shotgun went off. This happened several years ago and I still find pieces of pvc in the shop. As a matter of fact I found a piece day before yesterday when I was moving some stuff. You may never have a problem using pvc but if you do it can cause SERIOUS injury to anybody around.

Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
Copp3r

Post by Copp3r »

After doing more research I finally decided to go with the Rapid Air product line; Maxline. Its 3/4" hard plastic line with a metal core. Its rated at 175 psi if memory serves me correctly.

I'm about half way through running it in my double garage and shop and I'm VERY
impressed with the quality of the product.

Some of you talked about pex and as was mentioned the reviews on that were simple; don't use it for an air line...! Its not safe. The black metal I think would be too problematic regarding water build up and rust. The copper at my old shop aged and looked the shits after a few years. So, that left me with the Maxline.

One last note the money I saved buying it online vs at the cost at our local distributor was such that I ended up being able to purchase one master kit for free with the money I saved.

Thx again for all your input.

Copp3r
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

Ive seen both ways..on PVC the only time I have seen it fail is when they have it plumbed solid to the compressor. Two of my friends have had PVC for 8 years and 5 years with no issues. Both hooked up by the same guy and he had them run a rubber line to the compressor to keep the vibration down. Wonder if it does make a difference? I am fixing to plumb my new addition and need to run about a 100 feet just to the table.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
ryno fab
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ryno fab »

No comment in the PEX huh? you can buy a 100' roll for 25 bucks. The fittings are inexpensive and a ring crimp tool is about 30 bucks. Remains flexible in cold weather. Rated for 300 psi. the stuff is made to go in concrete.... its tough. I have had 190psi in it at -40F and hit it with a hammer trying to get it to blow.... just to make sure. Its easy to add new lines or re-rout. you can even re-use the fittings. I would recommend the brass fittings.
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

Hmmm, I never thought about Pex tubing. That sounds like a pretty good test you gave it. How long have you been using it? I have plans for building a 60'x100' shop with 16' ceiling and have been trying to decide what to use. As much as I'd have to run, copper prices would kill me.

Allen
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

HammerDownJustin wrote:Ive seen both ways..on PVC the only time I have seen it fail is when they have it plumbed solid to the compressor. Two of my friends have had PVC for 8 years and 5 years with no issues. Both hooked up by the same guy and he had them run a rubber line to the compressor to keep the vibration down. Wonder if it does make a difference? I am fixing to plumb my new addition and need to run about a 100 feet just to the table.
Mine was not plumbed solid to compressor. Had about a 6' rubber air line coming out of compressor to condenser. I'm sure most people will never have a failure using PVC but I can assure you if you do it can be extremely dangerous!
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

Here is a good article on Plastics, keep in mind that the figures are for non-pressure systems.

http://plasticpipe.org/pdf/tn-11_temper ... essure.pdf

And for those who dont want to go to the 5 page article, PVC operates at 0-120F and CPVC from 0-210F

On a way different note....

Most people plumb with PVC to save money. Well, at the cost of some nice 1" Schedule 80 PVC (the black stuff) that is rated for 630psi, and is intended for use in pressure systems, you are still way ahead of the cost for copper and still have the easy of installation compared to black pipe. It is safer also.

I dont get it, a Welding Engineer that has been stuck researching plastics for the entire day!
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I am going to go this route if I ever build a shop.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... MgodmH8A2g
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

It's only 1/2" line...good for a small shop but not enough for a large volume. I wonder if that's similar to the Pex tubing.

Allen
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

abmetal wrote:It's only 1/2" line...good for a small shop but not enough for a large volume. I wonder if that's similar to the Pex tubing.

Allen

Short answer, No

PEX is in the HDPE classification and this lands it in the Polyolefins family. The product in question claims it is a nylon tubing product, putting it in the Polyamids(Nylons) family.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

Never heard of pex tubing..will google in a few. Still havent got to plumb my shop since the add on. I cant afford copper or I would go that route. I only run my compressor around 140 psi and have the reg turned down to about 125 psi but regs can fail. I used to deal with true high pressure lines when doing paintball and diving air. Our system was set up at 5500 psi. we had some type of black hose. betting money this is what the pex tube is and if so I i can get a machine on loan for free to put the ends on.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”