The right refrigerated air dryer

All topics related to compressed air supply.
Azperformancetech
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

The right refrigerated air dryer

Post by Azperformancetech »

I am receiving an arclight 9600. I’m pretty pumped and have been doing my research. I’m not that familiar with everything but I’m getting there. I’m not sure what size refrigerated air dryer to get. The space I lease has a huge 250 gallon 15hp air compressor tank supplies air to the entire shop. It has an additional 6 inch pipe that’s around 50ft long that runs down the wall of the shop and everything branches off of that. If my math is correct, holds another 200+ gallons. I could be wrong? I am going to branch off of that to run my table. I’m not trying to cool and dry the entire shops air just what runs to my table. I was told by one person the HP on the compressor and dryer need to be the same which would leave me with a super expensive RAD. Minimum table specs are 14cfm @ 90psi. The shop only has one other guy in it who uses air tools doing mechanic work from time to time but says they can run two big air impacts at the same time for a good little bit before the notice anything happening with the air pressure. Any info I can get is appreciated and please excuse me if I sound ignorant to all this because I am.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: The right refrigerated air dryer

Post by weldguy »

Oh man that's exciting! Ya you won't need anything too big, if the cfm capacity of the dryer exceeds the equipment it is feeding that is all you need. I wouldn't bother drying air to that degree for air tools that's for sure. Best of luck :Like
Azperformancetech
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Azperformancetech »

Another thing. Can you run a refrigerated air dryer branches off the main air line just to dry the air on my CNC machine and not dry the whole shops air?
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Azperformancetech wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:39 am Another thing. Can you run a refrigerated air dryer branches off the main air line just to dry the air on my CNC machine and not dry the whole shops air?
Yes, that is exactly what I would do. Install your dryer 20' or further from the outlet of the compressor to allow the air to cool before it enters your dryer and your dryer will perform much better. Also proper filtration of the air before it enters your dryer is key to longevity of your dryer. I use this filter shop/filter_sharpe705fc.html and am very happy with it.

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”