Air compressor recommendation

All topics related to compressed air supply.
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Air compressor recommendation

Post by btburn »

I'm looking at getting a new air compressor soon. Any personal recommendations?
I was looking at the Quincy 60 gallon 2 stage compressor: http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Qui ... /p855.html
The price is a hair higher than I wanted but I'd rather buy once and USA made is a bonus. Plus free(included) shipping and no tax helps.
I'm running my little speedaire 30 gallon unit pretty hard to keep up with longer cuts right now.

Any other good brands, Polar, Puma, belaire, etc. that work good for you?
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Air compressor recommendation

Post by CNCCAJUN »

QUINCY is a good choice (my opinion) . . . I have a 7.5 HP 80 gallon & it keeps up well.

I think a lot of guys are going with a 5HP and are doing OK.

Whatever you get, make sure it is 2 stage . . . a single stage compressor with not really deliver or hold up nearly as long.

I would not spend money on a built in after cooler. Black iron pipe run in excess of 20' will do just as well.

I have an air dryer,it's nice but not required. Again, more black iron pipe & good filter/moisture removal does the same thing.

Mount compressor level, but DO NOT BOLT DOWN firmly. . .

Your bolts should only keep the compressor from tipping or moving via vibration across the shop floor.

Install an auto-drain for your tank. ( headache saver)

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 762frmafr »

Anything Quincy you cannot go wrong. The one you linked is a splash lubed reed valve type compressor. While I am sure it will still give you years of service, I would check craigslist for a used Quincy with pressure lube and the valves that can be removed from the head without removing the head. I found one behind a neighbors barn. I had to rebuild the valves and buy a new brand new electric motor plus plumb in an aftercooler and I was still in to it cheaper than the brand new one you linked. Just something to think about.

btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

I'm looking between the Quincy QT-54 and the Eaton 60 gallon unit now.
The Eaton is more money but has a better warranty and disk valves inseat of reed valves.
The Quincy is great too but sucks to pay $170 for $50 worth of oil to get a better warranty from them.
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I have the Quincy 60 gal 5 hp compressor, and it works very well for my plasma cutting. It's much better than the old 30 gallon Wards compressor I was using. It's relativity quiet and comes up to pressure fairly fast.
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Regardless of which compressor you get, don't forget if it is in your shop and to loud you can add a muffler to the intake. Have one that needs to be installed. I did get to experience the difference it makes at another guys shop. I think it will be a well spent $85.99.

Anyone have experience with an intake muffler on their compressor?

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 762frmafr »

CNCCAJUN wrote:Regardless of which compressor you get, don't forget if it is in your shop and to loud you can add a muffler to the intake. Have one that needs to be installed. I did get to experience the difference it makes at another guys shop. I think it will be a well spent $85.99.

Anyone have experience with an intake muffler on their compressor?

Steve

The Solberg Filters like I put on my compressor are also advertised as a silencer. That is the only experience I have with one. I know that Solberg also sells separate intake silencers as well. But my shop is big enough, and this "new" compressor is quiet enough, that I didn't see a need for one. Not only that, the fan on my aftercooler is already louder than the compressor itself.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

My shop is 20X30 so I have no where to hide . . .

But it is quieter than most for it's size . . . 7.5HP . . .

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

I just ordered the quincy 60gal 5hp compressor. u Ended up ordering from aircompressorsdirect since all the local shops were $300ish more. I prefer to keep as much add my money local but couldn't do it this time.
They told me up to 3 weeks delivery.
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 762frmafr »

btburn wrote:I just ordered the quincy 60gal 5hp compressor. u Ended up ordering from aircompressorsdirect since all the local shops were $300ish more. I prefer to keep as much add my money local but couldn't do it this time.
They told me up to 3 weeks delivery.

Which one from aircompressorsdirect?
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Don't overlook this one.. I bought a Curtis from these guys 16 years ago. (In their shop) They are awesome to deal with.. Great support..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4XA62-INDUSTRIA ... 43cc156f57
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

That curtis looks great but it's double my budget.
I ended up getting the QT-54 and oil kit. Delivered to my house with lift gate it was just over $1600.
http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Qui ... /p855.html
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into our Rural King (farm supply store) to find that they now carry the Quincy QT-54 60 gallon and maybe an 80 gallon model. They had two QT-54's a couple of weeks ago. Stopped by last weekend and only saw one.

They're selling them $100 less than what I find on aircompressorsdirect, too! And Rural King recently had their no sales tax day (not really no tax, but discounts to offset. Or something like that).

Good job, Rural King!

Paul
Last edited by urbnsr on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sampson Jones
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Sampson Jones »

My compressor is 54 years old ! It's a two stage Lincoln . Quincy bought out Lincoln ,and the newer Quincys look just like my compressor ,but with many improvements . Spend 3 to 4 grand on a Quincy ! My compressor was used in a Ford dealership for 25 years before I bought it !
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
Thumper
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thumper »

We have an Ingersol 5hp 80 gallon and a 7.5hp 80 gallon and both work very well and keep up great. I can't say I can complain about either one. The 5hp for the money will run a table perfectly and the 7.5 hp runs a few minutes every so often and shuts off. For the money in my mind the 5hp is all you need if your a small to med sized shop unless you just want a big bad high dollar unit. I prefer spending money on fab equipment than an air pump :) lol
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

QUINCY 7.5 in my shop . . . Runs my PowerMAX 85 very well . . .

You'll never regret having to much air.

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

It was delivered Friday. Got the plug wired up this morning and wired an hour meter into the motor housing to keep track of running time for maintenance. I just have to pull a new line through the crawl space and make space in the corner. I plan on plumbing it with heavy wall copper pipe but that can wait for a little. The compressor was palleted well and arrived safely.
Last edited by btburn on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

btburn wrote:It was delivered Friday. Got the plug wired up this morning and wired an hour meter into the motor housing to keep track of running time for maintenance. I just have to pull a new line through the crawl space and make space in the corner. I plan on plumbing it with heavy wall copper pipe but that can wait for a little. The compressor was palleted we'll and arrived safely.

I have a Quincy also. Exactly how did you do the hour meter thing?

Which hour meter did you get?

By the way, in case you do not know . . . do not fasten it SOLID to the concrete slab.

Studs with lock nuts allowing a 1/16" between the top of leg and bottom of lock nut to keep it from walking with some vibration pads will do the trick.

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

Here is the hour meter. It's just a digital 110 to 230 volt meter of eBay. Just wire it into the wires coming from the pressure switch so it only counts time when the motor is turning. Didn't need it but I like it. With careful tucking of the wires in the motor wiring box it fits perfect.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

I also added a meter. I would have no reliable way to know how long it has ran otherwise. I went with an analog meter, but same concept:

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

I ran my table for the first time since I got my Quincy, it sure is nice having a compressor that can outrun my plasma cutter. Even on long cuts the compressor will cycle on, fill and shut off while still cutting.
My old 26 gallon compressor took forever to fill up and I'd have to pause cutting between cuts and wait.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I've got the same compressor, and the same thoughts. It is nice to have a more than adequate compressor for a change. Seems like it hardly ever comes on during cuts, or during anything else for that matter.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Wouldn't a rotary screw compressor be better suited to a plasma cutter?
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

Joe Jones wrote:Wouldn't a rotary screw compressor be better suited to a plasma cutter?
If I had a few thousand extras dollars to spend maybe. I don't use enough air to use a rotary screw. The Quincy I got out runs my plasma and keeps up with my sand blaster. I don't plan on ever having to get another compressor.
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

btburn,

Did you go for the extended warranty? If so, did you get any feedback after registering? I applied and received an auto-reply that they will review it in the next 5-7 days leading me to believe that I would get another message after review, but have yet to get any confirmation.

TNX
Paul

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”