Successful dry air hunch

All topics related to compressed air supply.
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Successful dry air hunch

Post by 762frmafr »

So this is my air compressor set up. The main air compressor is a Craftsman 80 gallon. I replaced the pump with a single stage pump from Harbor Freight when the 2 stage original pump failed. Right out of the main tank is a cheap water separator from the local hardware store. The green tank is a 120 gallon tank I picked up at an auction. I bought it and another complete compressor just like mine for $350. I got the compressor and tank back to my shop and lo and behold the compressor tank was completely filled with water which is why they said it didn't work. I drained all the water out of the tank. Changed the compressor oil and plugged it in to see if it worked. It blew my breaker. I disassembled the electric motor and found the starter contacts to be defective. $40 later I had a new set of contacts. The compressor ran like a champ and filled up as fast as my 80 gallon compressor. I listed the spare compressor on Craigslist and sold it for $600. So basically I got the green 120 gallon tank for free. Now on to the dry air hunch. I plumbed the 120 gallon tank in to my system as follows. I came out of my water separator in the 80 gallon tank and plumbed in to the bottom of the green tank. I figures this would act as a huge water separator, as well, the 120 gallon tank being so tall, and water being heavier than air, the water would likely not get to the air line at the top of the 120 gallon tank. So I cam out of the green tank at the top fitting and in to my shop air lines. I have been running this set-up for the last few months. The compressor kicks on every once in a while, but not at all like it used to. This morning I was thinking about how it worked and decided to check the water trap at my plasma cutter. I pulled the trap off and not only was it completely free of water, it was so dry, there was actually dust inside of it. Previous to this morning's findings, I figured that I would purchase an electric air dryer over and above what I already have just to make sure I had dry air. Looks like I will be saving that money for some other tool I need. Just thought I would share what worked for me. Summer time here in Missouri will be the true test as we usually have 100-110% humidity. But from the looks of things, I think it is going to work out great.
air compressor.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Successful dry air hunch

Post by abmagrum »

That's kinda how I'm set up I'm about 50 ft apart no water in the summer for me. So you won't need a air dryer. Worse case spread out the distance between tanks, but I don't think you will need too
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”