Creating a vintage sign

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Creating a vintage sign

Post by Scratch »

I wanted to create a vintage looking sign for my pole barn. I collect old Jeeps so I found some google images of what I was thinking and customized it to my liking. There's not much CNC plasma cutting, but I thought some of you might like to see my process, maybe it'll spark some idea for someone.

Now, I'm no artist by any means, but I do have a vinyl cutter so I thought I could create a stencil, then use spray paint for the color, and finally distress it to my liking.

I think I'm going to make my sign about 30" high and about 25" wide and will probably make it out of 16 gauge steel, but before I cut out the shape of the sign, I wanted to make sure that my plan would work. I've had issues with using vinyl as stencils before and I've never distressed a sign either so I wanted to do a test run on a much smaller scale.
I found a piece of scrap steel I had. This one is 1/8" thick and about 11" square.

I cleaned it up with a wire wheel grinder then sprayed a coat of primer first, then flat white on top of that.

I wasn't exactly sure of what I wanted the dealer info to say, so I drew up a few different designs.

I picked one, then I cut out the vinyl and weeded it. I used orange vinyl because "orange man bad" right?

Next, I applied the transfer paper. This is only to help apply it and gets thrown away like all my hopes and dreams.

I peeled off the transfer paper and used Rustoleum 2X satin spray paint for the red, blue and black. In this picture, the paints are all dry but you can see all those black specs in the white are where the vinyl peeled up some of the white exposing the steel below. I waited almost 24 hours to apply the vinyl over the white, but it's possible I didn't wait long enough. I also didn't wait long enough to start peeling off the vinyl on the blue paint at the bottom. According to my wife, I have a problem with finishing things too soon...

Finally I used a green scotchbrite pad to remove some of the gloss and distress the paint.
Last edited by Scratch on Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
Scratch

Re: Creating a vintage sign

Post by Scratch »

I think it turned out awesome and feel good about making another in full size. I'm even liking the peeled up dots all over the place, so I found a sheet of 16 gauge about that size.

Then I tossed the sheet on my plasma table and cut out the shape

I cleaned up both sides. It ended up being about 32" wide X 28" tall.

Then did the same process that i did on the smaller one. Here's a pic of it after all the painting is done and the vinyl peeled off. I guess waiting a little dry more time helped since the white didn't come up this time. It looked so good, I had a hard time deciding if I should distress it or not.

And here it is after all the distressing is done. I'm debating about putting a couple bullet holes in it, and possibly adding some rusted edges... not sure yet. When I decide where it's going, I'll figure out mounting holes.

And some detail pics, I love the way it turned out, especially the black letters!
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Scratch wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:50 pm I wanted to create a vintage looking sign for my pole barn. I collect old Jeeps so I found some google images of what I was thinking and customized it to my liking. There's not much CNC plasma cutting, but I thought some of you might like to see my process, maybe it'll spark some idea for someone.
If you want to have some fun, mount a PAINT PEN to the Z on your CNC table, and draw the files. Have the CNC table lower the paint pen to the surface and PAINT the sign for you. :HaHa

Joe
PAINT PEN TEST BLACK.jpg
PAINT PEN WILDCAT PROCESS.jpg
PAINT PEN WILDCAT.jpg
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Scratch wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:50 pm I wanted to create a vintage looking sign for my pole barn. I collect old Jeeps so I found some google images of what I was thinking and customized it to my liking. There's not much CNC plasma cutting, but I thought some of you might like to see my process, maybe it'll spark some idea for someone.

Now, I'm no artist by any means, but I do have a vinyl cutter so I thought I could create a stencil, then use spray paint for the color, and finally distress it to my liking.

I think I'm going to make my sign about 30" high and about 25" wide and will probably make it out of 16 gauge steel, but before I cut out the shape of the sign, I wanted to make sure that my plan would work. I've had issues with using vinyl as stencils before and I've never distressed a sign either so I wanted to do a test run on a much smaller scale.
I found a piece of scrap steel I had. This one is 1/8" thick and about 11" square.

I cleaned it up with a wire wheel grinder then sprayed a coat of primer first, then flat white on top of that.

I wasn't exactly sure of what I wanted the dealer info to say, so I drew up a few different designs.

I picked one, then I cut out the vinyl and weeded it. I used orange vinyl because "orange man bad" right?

Next, I applied the transfer paper. This is only to help apply it and gets thrown away like all my hopes and dreams.

I peeled off the transfer paper and used Rustoleum 2X satin spray paint for the red, blue and black. In this picture, the paints are all dry but you can see all those black specs in the white are where the vinyl peeled up some of the white exposing the steel below. I waited almost 24 hours to apply the vinyl over the white, but it's possible I didn't wait long enough. I also didn't wait long enough to start peeling off the vinyl on the blue paint at the bottom. According to my wife, I have a problem with finishing things too soon...

Finally I used a green scotchbrite pad to remove some of the gloss and distress the paint.
Thanks so much for sharing your process with us! I don't have a vinyl printer, but I do have a Cricut machine that I haven't used yet - but I think can do the same thing on a smaller scale. I like the way you used the different colors of spray paint in conjunction to your mask to create your sign.
Great Work!!
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:19 pm
but I do have a Cricut machine that I haven't used yet -
David
Story of my life. I have about a dozen machines in my shops that I haven't used yet. :Sad

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Yeah, My vinyl cutter is basically a big Cricut machine that accepts rolls of vinyl. A Cricut machine would work great on a smaller sign.
If anyone is interested, I have a USCutter brand 28" SC2 machine.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Scratch wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:21 am Yeah, My vinyl cutter is basically a big Cricut machine that accepts rolls of vinyl. A Cricut machine would work great on a smaller sign.
If anyone is interested, I have a USCutter brand 28" SC2 machine.
Thanks for sharing that. I will have to take a look to see if that is something for me to get.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ah yes expanding the use of your CNC machines/tables for fun :Like :Like Joe sounds like you in the Dungeon doing you painting :HaHa
Scratch you going to have Mike Wolfe from Antique Archaeology knocking on you door wanting to buy the (great looking) old Jeep sign :HaHa :HaHa
I'm to cheap to buy a Cricut machine so I printed out a drag knife holder for my CNC table to add to the fun in the shop. You can also acid etch aluminum with sign vinyl stencils. :Yay
DSCN3004.JPG
DSCN3025.JPG
DSCN3039.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:08 am Ah yes expanding the use of your CNC machines/tables for fun :Like :Like Joe sounds like you in the Dungeon doing you painting :HaHa
Scratch you going to have Mike Wolfe from Antique Archaeology knocking on you door wanting to buy the (great looking) old Jeep sign :HaHa :HaHa
I'm to cheap to buy a Cricut machine so I printed out a drag knife holder for my CNC table to add to the fun in the shop. You can also acid etch aluminum with sign vinyl stencils. :Yay
Funny, your posts about your drag knife is the reason I started researching vinyl cutting. I decided against adding one to my table since at the time, my slats looked like this and I was too lazy to change them.

tinspark

Post by tinspark »

Those signs look great!!
I just chipped my cutting grates off yesterday but weren't near that bad.
I Was cutting square holes in flat bar for fence pickets to pass through, and the bar wasn't laying as flat as I liked.
THC would wiggle the bar and move it a bit each time.

I think you might get more blowback with all of that slag and possibly lessening consumable life.
Also, when I cut over a slat or slag, there is always excess slag under my work piece which makes it harder for me to clean my parts.
Love the signage. Looks great!!

But the slats made my day!! knarley dude!!! hahah
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Some people collect Pez dispensers. I was collecting slag.
Those things weighed a ton when I changed them!
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

Scratch wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:01 pm Some people collect Pez dispensers. I was collecting slag.
Those things weighed a ton when I changed them!
you might have a gold mine there when U send em to the scrap yard!! :HaHa :HaHa
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”