Flag Retirement Drop Box

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
ETCWeld
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Flag Retirement Drop Box

Post by ETCWeld »

My son wants to make some flag retirement/ drop off box for eagle his eagle project.
Below is just a sample of what he is thinking. Nothing is set in stone yet.
He will commit to a design, give dimensions and a better picture or sketch, but as part of the eagle project he will need a quote on your service, then he'll need to generate the total cost of building each box, painting it or having it wrapped in order to submit the project. He will then need to go out into the community to get sponsors.

Part of this will hopefully include a few scouts getting their welding merit badge while learning to weld these up, so a tab and slot for alignment will be important. (I still don't know how to do the tab and slot with the accuracy I want in a reasonable time frame (torchmate cad cam software falls short on this design element from what I can tell))

If anyone is interested in working with my son by creating a cut ready drawing please let me know. It's his project so he needs to be involved. We will pay you for your time in creating the drawing and even consulting with him to make it work.

Thanks in advance, please PM me after giving it some thought.
for a visual aid:
Image or Image
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: We need to hire someone to draw a box

Post by adbuch »

PM sent.
David
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

My son did this flag retirement for his Eagle Scout project. He got flags from places like the VFW and American Legion, as well as from area Boy Scout troops. He even had a huge flag from Mall of America donated, which had to be cut up in order to be burned. The ashes were then buried in a local cemetery. Getting flags was not a problem, he had too many!

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
ETCWeld
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by ETCWeld »

That's great! Congratulations on raising an Eagle!
Between scouts and JROTC we get plenty of flags to retire, so we aren't necessarily "looking" for more flags. He will likely be putting one at our VFW and another at the Moose lodge. But we hope to put several more out in the community.

An actual flag retirement isn't the project, it's putting boxes out in the community so we can encourage the proper retirement of flags. When ppl finally get them to the scouts or JROTC we hear a lot of the time how long they've held on to them because they didn't know where to take them, or the other side of the coin when ppl find out that a flag should be retired they claim to have never know it was a thing. They tell us how they have just thrown them away, or put them in a box someplace... His thinking is we can get the boxes out there for convenience and to encourage proper retirement. There will also be a QR code/ web address for ppl to scan and register if they want to be invited to the ceremony. The troop will then collect the flags from the drop off locations and invite anyone interested in being a part of the ceremony.
ETCWeld
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by ETCWeld »

This was his finished product.
He drug his feet and finally asked me to help with the drawing. We worked on it together; drawing, cutting, welding, etc. I am willing to share the drawing, but a few things didn't line up like the bottom floor panel and the front panel should have been planed better.
PXL_20220614_230001114.jpg
PXL_20220614_225952534.jpg
PXL_20220614_225941873.jpg
PXL_20220614_225907004.jpg
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Wow, that turned out awesome! Is that a printed wrap on the outside of it? Very nicely done :Like :Like
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

Well done!
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

Nicely done. I love the idea.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
BAR M

Re: Flag Retirement Drop Box

Post by BAR M »

I salute you & your son. A great project.

topkote
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by topkote »

Very nice project and idea. I would be interested in the file if you don't mind sharing. Also willing to make a donation to his cause. Please PM me.
Tautog13
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Tautog13 »

Very nicely done!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Very nicely done!! Thanks for sharing your final result.
David

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”