Image
AUGUST EasyScriber Giveaway!
Industry Pros use FastCut CNC

Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
Post Reply
arnegrant
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:07 pm

Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by arnegrant » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:53 pm

I like making these little washer plates that get finish nails that pound down to wood formwork.

Washer
Washer.jpg
Finish nail
Finish nail.jpg
Drop it in
Right home.jpg
One array two tips
one array two tips.jpg
Bones (but not too skinny of bones, then things move)
bones.jpg

You do not have access to view or download this file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to this feature. Click Here


arnegrant
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:07 pm

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by arnegrant » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:58 pm

Here's a video of the cut just for fun....


adbuch
5.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 5209
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by adbuch » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:32 pm

This is very interesting! Those are pretty small holes which look very functional, particularly for the plate thickness. Thanks for sharing your experience.
David

arnegrant
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:07 pm

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by arnegrant » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:16 pm

Yep, does the trick.

Saves a day of standing by a drill press.

User avatar
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 6370
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:04 pm
Location: Pensacola, Fla

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by acourtjester » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:39 pm

Nice to have the tool to help with other projects :Like
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

User avatar
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 1593
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:30 pm
Location: New Berlin, WI
Contact:

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by tnbndr » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:42 am

Pic of the application of the plate?
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
PM45
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215
RW 390E Slip Roll
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com

arnegrant
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:07 pm

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by arnegrant » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:25 pm

My name is Arne Grant, and I sell roof anchors. Men hang from ropes to wash windows on sky scrapers, my part is what they tie there rope to.

These plate washers get welded to a nut and then they go on a thread rod, then they get nailed to a form, and concrete gets cast over them.

Foot
foot.jpg
Anchors with the feet on them
anchors.jpg
Set on the concrete form
Cast in place 2.JPG
Load of anchors
load.jpg

Run them all year round
cold load.jpg

You do not have access to view or download this file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to this feature. Click Here


arnegrant
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:07 pm

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by arnegrant » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:29 pm

Capture.JPG

You do not have access to view or download this file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to this feature. Click Here


arnegrant
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:07 pm

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by arnegrant » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:33 pm

This is how they look after the concrete runs around the feet and before the roof goes on.
Cast in place 3.jpg
Thousands and thousands and thousands of these anchorage connectors every year.

All the plates cut with plasma.... mostly structural plate 1/2" thick - but we go up to 1.5" thick and down to gage metal depending on the application.

You do not have access to view or download this file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to this feature. Click Here


adbuch
5.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 5209
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by adbuch » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:10 pm

arnegrant wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:25 pm
My name is Arne Grant, and I sell roof anchors. Men hang from ropes to wash windows on sky scrapers, my part is what they tie there rope to.

These plate washers get welded to a nut and then they go on a thread rod, then they get nailed to a form, and concrete gets cast over them.

Foot
foot.jpg

Anchors with the feet on them

anchors.jpg

Set on the concrete form

Cast in place 2.JPG

Load of anchors

load.jpg


Run them all year round

cold load.jpg
Nice explanation Arne! Thanks for posting the photos of your work. Those look like some very nice parts.
David

Jason@bc
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 5:27 pm
Location: Moose Jaw Sask.

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by Jason@bc » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:27 pm

Looks like you got a good thing going, looks real good, keep it up.

Mtzsteel
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:30 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by Mtzsteel » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:08 am

Hey man do you need any type of osha certification to make them? We are in the works to start fabbing some up for a customer but we are a little unclear in that regards. Any help would be appreciated

robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 1622
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by robertspark » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:27 am

I would think that they need to be load rated and then tested to that load rating periodically so that they are safe to use until the next test is due.

The same as with lifting beams and other similar such equipment.

if they fail the pull out test then they cannot be used as either the concrete has failed or the steel has corroded over time.

User avatar
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 1593
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:30 pm
Location: New Berlin, WI
Contact:

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by tnbndr » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:48 pm

arnegrant wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:25 pm
My name is Arne Grant, and I sell roof anchors. Men hang from ropes to wash windows on sky scrapers, my part is what they tie there rope to.

These plate washers get welded to a nut and then they go on a thread rod, then they get nailed to a form, and concrete gets cast over them.
Got it, thank you.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
PM45
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215
RW 390E Slip Roll
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com

arnegrant
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:07 pm

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by arnegrant » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:44 pm

Mtzsteel wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:08 am
Hey man do you need any type of osha certification to make them? We are in the works to start fabbing some up for a customer but we are a little unclear in that regards. Any help would be appreciated
You need a lot of paperwork.

If you don't know what you are doing you shouldn't just give it a go. I rip out people's unqualified efforts all the time.

I have been hanging off of things for a living since the 90s, am a licensed professional engineer, have a ISO 17025 accredited laboratory, have a CWI, a staff available to support with design of the attachment and design of the primary structure, and carry a (reasonably) large insurance policy that is in the six figures cost alone per year.

And I am guessing I sell them cheaper then you could make them because we run so many of them. I'm sure your good at what you do too, but there are advantages in quantity when you buy steel by the coil.

arnegrant
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:07 pm

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by arnegrant » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:45 pm

robertspark wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:27 am
I would think that they need to be load rated and then tested to that load rating periodically so that they are safe to use until the next test is due.

The same as with lifting beams and other similar such equipment.

if they fail the pull out test then they cannot be used as either the concrete has failed or the steel has corroded over time.
Correct.

adbuch
5.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 5209
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Holes 2x the material thickness? How about the thickness divided by two ;)

Post by adbuch » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:16 am

arnegrant wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:44 pm
Mtzsteel wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:08 am
Hey man do you need any type of osha certification to make them? We are in the works to start fabbing some up for a customer but we are a little unclear in that regards. Any help would be appreciated
You need a lot of paperwork.

If you don't know what you are doing you shouldn't just give it a go. I rip out people's unqualified efforts all the time.

I have been hanging off of things for a living since the 90s, am a licensed professional engineer, have a ISO 17025 accredited laboratory, have a CWI, a staff available to support with design of the attachment and design of the primary structure, and carry a (reasonably) large insurance policy that is in the six figures cost alone per year.

And I am guessing I sell them cheaper then you could make them because we run so many of them. I'm sure your good at what you do too, but there are advantages in quantity when you buy steel by the coil.
:Like :Like :Like

Post Reply

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”

Industry Pros use FastCut CNC