Touch Off Sensor Jammed

CandCNC plasma table components discussion forum
vianet
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Touch Off Sensor Jammed

Post by vianet »

I have been using my table on and off for about 6 years now. Today I went to cut a file and this is the first time I received the Touch Off Sensor Jammed error in my Mach3 program. It would not let me clear the reset button and allow me to run the motors manually. This is the first time seeing this and not sure how to remedy this. I made sure the torch sensor wasn't jammed and put a meter on it. The sensor seems to work fine, read normally open. I feel the switch isn't the issue. Anyone have any other suggestions on what to check?

Thank you!
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Touch Off Sensor Jammed

Post by djreiswig »

Does the switch change states when you move the torch up? It could be wired so that it is open when it thinks the torch is up. You can set mach to read either way.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
vianet
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by vianet »

I will have to check how it is wired. I just know that I haven't touched any settings or messed with wiring in years and this came out of no where.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

The switch could be stuck in the open condition or you could have a broken wire somewhere. First I would test the switch. Then test at the I/O board to see if the signal is getting through. There should be an led on the diagnostic screen for the switch. Possibly ZHome. See if it changes when you move the floating head.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
vianet
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by vianet »

Thank you! I will check this out for sure. One thing I did do before leaving the shop was put a board under the torch to represent the torch touching down and it still did not clear. I am suspecting a broken wire but will check the board and the diagnostic screen as well when I get in the shop again. Thanks again!
vianet
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by vianet »

So a little update I guess. I checked that the switch was working all the way to the board in the main controller. No broken wires and worked as it should. Opening Mach3 again, I am still unable to undo the reset. Both External Hold light is on and Emergency E stop light is flashing in the diagnostic screen. Knowing the switch works, I raised and lowered the head by hand to activate the switch. The z home light did not flash on or off but stayed constant. I have attached some pictures of the diagnostic screen and ports and pins screen. I changed the Z home pin to 0 and was able to clear the reset at a minimum and got the motors to run manually by keyboard. I tried to run a simple program but when Z wanted to move, I kept getting the Touch Off Sensor Jammed screen again. I am starting to think the board went bad. Is there anything else I can check or try and trouble shoot?

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I replied to your other post.
https://www.candcnc.net/supportforum/vi ... 917#p18917
So you tested the wires at the board with a meter and they are normally open and close when you lift the z?
Unhook them from the board and see if the mach led goes out. There is also a diagnostic led by the pins on the board.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

If you have a spare input on the board, you can move the wires and reassign the z home to the new input.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
vianet
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by vianet »

I will definitely try this, I appreciate all your help! The Z switch is NO and once the head touches off the material, it goes to NC.

Return to “CandCNC Forum”