Y axis motor locks up

CandCNC plasma table components discussion forum
IUCTX
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Y axis motor locks up

Post by IUCTX »

I have tried posting about this on the CandCNC support forum, but I think the individual posts have to be 'approved' before they are visible to the forum members. So, maybe somebody on here can help.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything was working great, I have been cutting with the table for several days. When I started everything up today one of my Y-axis motors was 'stuck'... almost like a brake was applied. It would not jog in either direction.

First - I tried swapping the motors connected to the y-axis (motors 2 and 4) ... when I did that, the problem was now on motor 2 instead of motor 4... these are both the y-axis motors.

This leads me to believe it is either A - a board issue where the motors connect OR B - a software issue/driver that controls the motors. Does anyone know where I should start troubleshooting? I am using a CandCNC Linux PC with the 'most popular bundle'.

Thanks!
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Y axis motor locks up

Post by BTA Plasma »

When the problem follows the driver and not the motor changes are you need to replace the driver. Double check your configuration that the motor is not disabled. Other than that you should be replacing that 251 board. CandCNC.com in the store.
IUCTX
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by IUCTX »

BTA Plasma wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:35 am When the problem follows the driver and not the motor changes are you need to replace the driver. Double check your configuration that the motor is not disabled. Other than that you should be replacing that 251 board. CandCNC.com in the store.
It it still under warranty. When I got this unit the Z axis would move, but it was almost like it was in a bind. If I moved the Z motor to any other axis 'plug' it worked fine... likewise, every other motor acted like it was in a 'bind' when plugged into the z axis motor slot. They told me to try a ton of different stuff, including making sure everything is plugged in and seated properly. I did all of that. Then, they told me to RMA the controller. They turned it around quick and it worked (until now) ... but they never disclosed what the problem was.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Support Forum is not message moderated once you join and are accepted

I also answered your website contact post and told you it probably NOT the driver since a bad driver ususally throws a Driver Fault . The driver is not getting step signals. I gave you some things to try.
IUCTX
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by IUCTX »

tcaudle wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:07 pm Support Forum is not message moderated once you join and are accepted

I also answered your website contact post and told you it probably NOT the driver since a bad driver ususally throws a Driver Fault . The driver is not getting step signals. I gave you some things to try.
Thanks Tom, you were right, it was not the driver. It appears to be the broken solder points on the G251-4 card... which I shipped back to you via RMA for a cross-ship replacement.

Thanks for approving me to post on the forums over there! I am sure to be using it quite a bit.

Return to “CandCNC Forum”