Why did you choose CandCNC and would you again?

CandCNC plasma table components discussion forum
Potus2000
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Why did you choose CandCNC and would you again?

Post by Potus2000 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:01 pm

Hello!

I’m still in the research stage and looking at controllers. I’m curious about the CandCNC offerings and am wondering how your experience with them has been. Is there a particular route you recommend taking or options that are a must have?

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Why did you choose CandCNC and would you again?

Post by weldguy » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:15 am

My experience has been great with them. Can buy a complete controller setup with the options you want, in a fan cooled enclosure that's ready to wire up. Tom has been in the business for well over a decade, knows his stuff, and is a plasmaspider member. I see him here answering peoples questions, and they also have their own forum for owners where many common topics are covered.

Potus2000
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Potus2000 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:32 am

weldguy wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:15 am
My experience has been great with them. Can buy a complete controller setup with the options you want, in a fan cooled enclosure that's ready to wire up. Tom has been in the business for well over a decade, knows his stuff, and is a plasmaspider member. I see him here answering peoples questions, and they also have their own forum for owners where many common topics are covered.
Sounds like some pretty good reasons for going this way!

djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:05 am

My table came with a candcnc controller, and I've had great luck with it. They have great service, and are quick to respond to questions.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:17 pm

I went with CandCNC because of the online reviews they were getting. It was a great decision, as I've had no problems with the equipment, and any questions I had were promptly answered.
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser

cutnweld
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by cutnweld » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:33 pm

I went with them for price. They are a decent unit, mine has treated me fine. I'm not sure my unit is what you would call commercial,it is servo system with mach3. I have been for the last year or so been getting stuff together for a Linux upgrade with mesa boards and new servos. I dont have firsthand experience with that new mesa-plasmaC system, however my brother built an exact same system as I am putting together and I would feel that it is a less complicated approach, meaning there is less components to fail, and more robust. Having said that, not everyone wants to run their own wires and program their own boards, and if not,Candcnc is a good choice.

tcaudle

Post by tcaudle » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:37 pm

A little historical review
:I designed the first low cost THC in 2002 to use on my own plasma cutting table . The THC300 was a simple knob settable device with two ranges and a digital voltage readout during the cut. I talked Art at MACH to putting the THC logic into MACH1 . Bob Campbell licensed the design and sold it for a few years. At the time i was in the decorative Plasma (and router) cutting business after years in electronics design and then IT / computers. Later I worked with another Engineer to do the MP1000 digital Torch height control and sold it up until 2006. We started building electronics due to demand and shipped the first complete controller in 2007.
We introduced the DTHC and later DTHCII that used the MACH3 THC logic in 2008 . In 2014 we releasedthe DTHC IV that was integrated inot the motion control and controlled the Z directly thereby greatly increasing the speed and response. In 2015, faced with the obsolescence of MACH3, buggy nature off MACH4 and compete rewrite of all our MACH software , and lack of support. my Programmer convinced me to look at LINUX and LINUXCNC. We had long fought toolpath problems in MACH. For plasma you had to use Constant Velocity to try and keep surface speed as high as posse to prevent torch dive. Lots of machines could not provide the high acceleration needed and the toolpath had to deviate from the actual track . You got rounded corners and inaccurate cuts. At the time Linuxcnc it was not often used for plasma but it had a lot of really interesting features. We did our first design using our third generation UBOB breakout and the MESA 7i92 card. The Real TIme nature of Linuxcnc made things like instant voltage feedback, real time velocity and instant response obtainable .
CommadnCNC (tm) is a custom wrapper around Linuxcnc that adds in things that enhance the operation and the user interface.

We have the greatest respect for the stick builders that are willing to forge ahead with doing their own setup hardware interface and troubleshooting. Getting a system running and cutting with a minimum of support is a long learning curve but has rewards at the end. I guess it depends on if you are more interested in the journey than the destination . For those that want the utility of CommandCNC and the Logic front end Ethernet BoB and the high speed DTHC5,) we have the MP3700 series that lets you connect to the power and motor/drivers of your choice orretofit an existing machine with old or worn-out controls.

As designers we look at a system and decide what things are better done in hardware via embedded processors, and what works in software . A modular design is easier to troubleshoot, easier and less expensive to repair and often field repairable. The trade off is more cards and connections.

Return to “CandCNC”