To close this announcement click the X in the top right corner.
Industry Pros use FastCut CNC

S45 Trafimet torch- machine equivs? (pilot arc start)

Discussion forum for Everlast & Longevity plasma cutters
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

S45 Trafimet torch- machine equivs? (pilot arc start)

Post by Countryguy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi everyone, My Everlast unit is a PP50 w/ CNC connected to a CandCNC setup. Been running fine since 2013 on a PPLLc 8x4 table.

I run both the S45 hand-wand in a torch controller, as well as the Trafimet Machine Torch. The S45 Machine torch has NEVER cut very good. Usually I waste a few days and lots of testing, Then toss it aside. I recently cleanly cut 7/8" plate w/ this little 50amp unit w/ the hand-wand in the cnc torch holder. so I know the unit is fine.

...Are there other torch heads I can replace the S45 with? I would like to possibly try another head if there are some other Pilot arc starts that could replace the S45 style? anyone know?

On a side note, the recent addition of a 3D printer to our shop has allowed me to design and print a new custom torch head that is a custom fit for a $39 S45 head assy. But I would like to make something for another head that may offer better results? Or is S45 a leader in the 40-50 amp pilot arc space? Tis new to me on the head end gang.

TIA!
CG.

PS- If you have not played w/ Fusion360 and some 3D printers yet, I am TOTALLY hooked. It's "what I did on my Summer Vacation"
Last edited by Countryguy on Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maryann
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: S45 Trafimet torch- machine equivs? (pilot arc start)

Post by Maryann » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:11 pm

Not a big fan of Neverlast plasma-tech help is Nada! You did not say how many amps you are running thru the torch (45 @ 60% is max) Do have a real Trafimet or a Chinese knockoff.

Call Larry @ Weldmart (281-432-0250) he is an old fart, but he has a European 60 amp machine torch that will plug into your machine. I bought one of his Razorweld 45 plasma with a Hypertherm style (European) machine torch-uses a 100 amp electrode-they last and very reasonable. You can use the Hypertherm fine cut consumables and get kick-ass cuts.

Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Countryguy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:42 pm

Tx Maryann... just getting back to this post.. Been doing other CNC stuff.... Got everything back up for a Plasma project this weekend. Good news is I cut everything I needed w/ no issued. PP50, 2014, CNC port connected w/CandCNC Bladerunner DTHC II on Mach3. I just run my $50 home made S-45 head converted into a torch style end and assy. .. It's fine for what we do, but I am going to check out that torch you noted! I just love the S-45 cheap consumables cost.
...anywho, I will call. Sound like what I need for some more of the finer jobs and thicker cuts stuff.... FUN to get this all running again and cut today. been missing it.

Rodw
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Rodw » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:34 am

There is some info on the everlast on this thread
https://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=23700

R-tech, A plasma table manufacturer in the UK suggest a different torch that uses Hypertherm Consumables

Everlast Australia sold me a Trafimet S75 torch for the 50 amp machine but I've recently upgraded to a Thermal Dynamics A120 cutter (120 amps) as mentioned recently on that thread.

Return to “Everlast & Longevity Plasma Cutters”

Industry Pros use FastCut CNC