Used 2019 5x10

Star-Lab plasma table discussion forum
Glstiles
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Used 2019 5x10

Post by Glstiles »

Hey guys, I am looking at considering buying a used 2019 5x10 Starlab withe stepper motors and the jeweler scribe, as well as a Hypertherm 85 for around 18,000. I obviously don't have a Starlab right now and I know they are kind of the "cadillac of plasma tables" but I was hoping to ask some genuine owners some things.....

1. do you have any common problems with these tables?
2. does anyone else with the stepper motors also experience excessive at low IPM movement? ((I know servos are "better" than steppers and there is a conversion kit but if I did that with the price, might as well buy a new 4x8"))
3. what is Starlab WARRANTY and customer service like?
4. also, if anyone has ever transported a table across state lines, how did you do it? I would have to drive a couple hundred miles and would hate to damage the electronics/precision components of the machine with a bumpy drive back)

Thanks!!
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Used 2019 5x10

Post by djreiswig »

I really haven't had many problems with mine. A 2019 will probably have commandcnc instead of mach 3. I've replaced a dthc board and an I/O board. Also got a different PC, but I think they use solid state ones now which would be more durable.
I have no experience with servos, but the steppers work fine for me.
I bought my table new and it came crated and the gantry was solidly strapped to the table frame. As far as the electronics, you could probably unplug a lot of that and box it up, but I probably would just open everything up and check connections and make sure the boards are still secured.
I think you will be very happy with the table if you end up purchasing it.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “Star-Lab CNC Forum”