Image
To close this announcement click the X in the top right corner.
Industry Pros use FastCut CNC

How large servo motors are making a difference.

Star-Lab plasma table discussion forum
Post Reply
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 pm

How large servo motors are making a difference.

Post by BTA Plasma » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:30 pm

Think of a piece of graph paper as your machines travel positions. Now envision you need to make a circle. You need to move from corner to corner to complete your circle. Even though plasma has a big beam and can be forgiving the smaller the squares on the graph paper the better the outcome.

Image

This was a sample from another brand stepper machine versus a servo Star lab. Can you see the difference?

Image

DieselFumes
3 Star Member
3 Star Member
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:33 am

Re: How large servo motors are making a difference.

Post by DieselFumes » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:55 am

That's a dramatic difference, wish I could cut as smooth as that!

BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: How large servo motors are making a difference.

Post by BTA Plasma » Tue May 10, 2022 4:03 pm

We are seeing many more Servo motor machine orders in 2022. 4x4 up to 5x10 are standard with stepper motors with servo as an option. 6x12 and larger come with large, high speed, digital, brushless servo motors.

AREA
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:36 am

Re: How large servo motors are making a difference.

Post by AREA » Wed May 11, 2022 9:25 am

BTA Plasma wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:03 pm
We are seeing many more Servo motor machine orders in 2022. 4x4 up to 5x10 are standard with stepper motors with servo as an option. 6x12 and larger come with large, high speed, digital, brushless servo motors.
Wow, significantly smoother edge finish! What is the cost difference if one was to order a Starlab table with the servos rather than steppers?

User avatar
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 788
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Tahlequah, OK
Contact:

Re: How large servo motors are making a difference.

Post by rdj357 » Wed May 11, 2022 6:59 pm

Servo’s are the only way to go!

Can you move the Star-Lab servo model by hand? Is there a representation of the torch location on the computer screen?

adbuch
5.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 4767
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Contact:

Re: How large servo motors are making a difference.

Post by adbuch » Fri May 13, 2022 3:43 pm

I often get cuts like the one shown with my Plasmacam! Almost looks like laser quality.
And - the Plasmacam tables use servos.
David
servo.jpg

You do not have access to view or download this file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to this feature. Click Here


BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: How large servo motors are making a difference.

Post by BTA Plasma » Tue May 24, 2022 8:57 am

AREA wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:25 am
BTA Plasma wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:03 pm
We are seeing many more Servo motor machine orders in 2022. 4x4 up to 5x10 are standard with stepper motors with servo as an option. 6x12 and larger come with large, high speed, digital, brushless servo motors.
Wow, significantly smoother edge finish! What is the cost difference if one was to order a Starlab table with the servos rather than steppers?
$4200 is the cost offset

BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: How large servo motors are making a difference.

Post by BTA Plasma » Tue May 24, 2022 9:03 am

rdj357 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:59 pm
Servo’s are the only way to go!

Can you move the Star-Lab servo model by hand? Is there a representation of the torch location on the computer screen?
You can easily move a gantry by hand (Even though they are heavy, the smoothness of linear rails makes it easy). There is a real time representation of where the torch is on the screen when powered on. However the feedback loop is motor exclusive not PC feedback related in regards to feedback loop. This allows the machine to be homed and the machine actually checks the gantry squareness every single time you home and corrects itself. The Star Lab is the closest model to a Laser or high definition CNC Plasma.

BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: How large servo motors are making a difference.

Post by BTA Plasma » Tue May 24, 2022 9:04 am

adbuch wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:43 pm
I often get cuts like the one shown with my Plasmacam! Almost looks like laser quality.
And - the Plasmacam tables use servos.
David

servo.jpg
There have been good examples of that brands cut quality.

AREA
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:36 am

Re: How large servo motors are making a difference.

Post by AREA » Tue May 24, 2022 11:14 am

Thanks for the reply BTA, sounds like a reasonable cost for a full servo upgrade. Will be keeping an eye on your brand as I am about due for a beefier table.

Post Reply

Return to “Star-Lab”

Industry Pros use FastCut CNC