CNC plasma build, or bust.

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

CNC plasma build, or bust.

Post by plasmaplasma »

Well, I guess this is like stepping off the plane and pulling the chord, maybe not. It seems strange announcing what I would like to build. However, I would be a fool not to share my building experience with others. What I mean, is that all the information I possess about building a CNC plasma table has been directly received from sites like this, and so on and so forth. I?m so grateful that the internet exists and I'm able to prosper from others. With this all being said, I go forth.

The thought process on how I'm going to create a CNC plasma table has been addicting and time consuming to say the least. I am constantly going up and down on my build?s, "wish list". When all is done and said, I come to the same chilling fact that I have to build the CNC with the least amount of resources. However, the best resource I have is free, that's knowledge from folks like you. I welcome any and all opinions, also criticisms to say the least.

The plan is to have a three-foot by five-foot working CNC plasma table when finished. The main frame will be three inches by three inches square steel tubing. The gantry?s main beam will also be the same, respectfully. The rail system will, no doubt be a four inch width by a hundredth and eight-five thousands thick cold rolled piece of, well, I believe ten-eighteen mild steel at this moment. Carriage for the rails will be complemented by using products from ?CNC Parts? company. Of course, this may change too, depending on how conservative I?m being that very day. I?m not trying to avoid the ?Z? (zeeeeeee(trying to be funny)) item but, I might have something rolled up my sleeves on that subject, more to come. Electronics powering and driving this table will be 640 ounce steppers and such from Candcnc. Their Digital Torch Height Control II(DTHC II) board is a must for this guy.

I?m thinking this is a good start for now, more to come.
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: CNC plasma build, or bust.

Post by wickedinhere »

Just do it, i just took the plunge and built my own table.
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

wickedinhere wrote:Just do it, i just took the plunge and built my own table.
It's too late man! I just took the official jump yesterday afternoon to my surprise. I'm at least ten feet in hole as we speak!
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Go for it. If I cant build it I dont want it when it comes to some stuff. I used angle iron for my rails has worked great so far.
If there is anything ii can help you with let me know. My table is on here several post back. CandCnc is the best way to go imho.
Mike
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Kentucky Farmer,
What package did you get from Tom? I am in the process of either selling my table or retro-fitting it with a servo package from Tom or MachMotion, Tom's servo pack is much better priced.

WSS
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

Kentuckyfarmer wrote:Go for it. If I cant build it I dont want it when it comes to some stuff. I used angle iron for my rails has worked great so far.
If there is anything ii can help you with let me know. My table is on here several post back. CandCnc is the best way to go imho.
Mike
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the generous offer of help. I just love the fantastic spirit I find at these type of forums. It really makes it all worth, the effort set forth.

I checked out your plasma build and my first impression was, "wow"! Great job on your plasma table. It is extremely clean looking and your simplistic approach to the build, is certainly an eye catcher. I'll, with out a doubt, give "angle iron" a second look for sure. Again, this may seem like a broken record, resources(money) are at a minimal.

Mike, I would have to agree with you one-hundred percent, that Candcnc is very good stuff. This is, the one area that I will not skimp on. I have allocated the money for this from the beginning.

Thanks Mike!

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”