uccnc thc with neuron lite

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
mr.jake519
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

uccnc thc with neuron lite

Post by mr.jake519 »

Greetings all, Apologies for what may be a long post!

I have uccnc with a axbb-e controller and a neuron lite thc.

As some may know the neuron only needs one output from the axbb-e to control the hold function of the z axis.
- This is currently pin 2 port 1 and controlled by m10.1
- I have pin 2 controlling the ground side connection of the 5V source to thc hold on the neuron.

I would like to use the built in anti dive in uccnc to lock the z axis if the feedrate drops, as well as use sheetcam rules (m10.1 thc off, m11.1 thc on) but they do not work together.
- If i have anti dive active through uccnc and input m10.1 through the MDI the thc hold will only briefly turn on, then turns back off instantly. Basically does not work with gcode to control thc hold, but the thc will hold if the feedrate threshold is below my setting in uccnc.

- If i deactivate anti dive in uccnc, i can now control thc hold through g code, m10.1 will turn on thc hold until a m11.1 is issued, but obviously now there is no internal control of thc hold based on feedrate threshold.

I'm not sure if there is a way to make these both work in the software, and if not maybe there's a way to make them both work by adding a relay and a second output (m10.2)?

I love the built in thc anti dive, but i also like to use rules in sheetcam to lock the thc mainly for holes and before the end of cut to prevent torch dive.

ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED!!!
thc settings.JPG
ss.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Home built 4x8
uccnc
axbb-e
gecko 201x
Neuron lite thc
mr.jake519
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: uccnc thc with neuron lite

Post by mr.jake519 »

I got it working, although not sure if it would be the "proper way"

I connected a wire from pin 2 and pin 3 together to the THC hold on the neuron.
UCCNC anti dive outputs on pin 2, m10.1/m11.1 outputs on pin 3. So if either of them go active my THC hold starts.
Home built 4x8
uccnc
axbb-e
gecko 201x
Neuron lite thc
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Thanks for posting back with your solution and hey whatever works is typically fine by me :Like
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

mr.jake519 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:47 pm I got it working, although not sure if it would be the "proper way"

I connected a wire from pin 2 and pin 3 together to the THC hold on the neuron.
UCCNC anti dive outputs on pin 2, m10.1/m11.1 outputs on pin 3. So if either of them go active my THC hold starts.
So if I'm reading that correctly, you have directly connected two outputs together. If that's the case then when one output is high and the other is low, you've effectively got a short circuit and the outputs are "fighting" each other. I would ask on the Cncdrive forum what damage that could do. Outputs should never be connected together.

When I used the Neuron I had 3 outputs from UCCNC all going to the HOLD input on the Neuron. I used Schottky diodes (low volt drop) to create an "OR" circuit.
Luckily I have an old photo. Any output going low "gets through" to the Neuron hold input, but does not affect any high signals on the other outputs. High signals on the outputs are blocked by the diodes, and so cannot attempt to try and drive a low output high.

DIODE OR GATE.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
mr.jake519
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mr.jake519 »

Thanks Beefy! I will do some research and order some diodes to make this circuit.
Much appreciated!
Home built 4x8
uccnc
axbb-e
gecko 201x
Neuron lite thc

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”