First Table Build

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Triple S
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

First Table Build

Post by Triple S »

So I need help from all you guy with building my own plasma table , not on the actual building of the table as I've been a pipefitter/welder for 32 years and have always used a plasma cutter - hand operated , I have a Hypertherm 65 and at some point will switch to an 85. But what i need help with is everything else ,I don't have any experience with cad but will take steps to learn- so what i need from you guys is help building the rest of the table as far as components . And i don't want you to take this the wrong way but if money for the build was not a concern what would you buy to build this table, I have been looking around this site as I'm new here but have not honed in on any specific software/hardware and have not priced any think other then the 5x10 and magnum 7 gantry from precision plasma LLC , and as far as the money not a concern i just wanted to know what the best set up is if not worried about that part of it , so any help you guys could give I sure appreciate it Thank you Steve
Triple S
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: First Table Build

Post by Triple S »

And I have looked at the Diy list of materials but it seems to be a little old so i was looking for something up to date as I'm sure things have changed
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I no experience with any of the available gantry kits but if I was looking to build my own table I would prefer to buy a complete electronics and software package and build the table and gantry myself. C&CNC and Flashcut CNC both offer complete packages that would get you going and building a gantry isn't all that tough.
Triple S
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Triple S »

Yes I want to build table 5x10 and gantry but no interest in building electronics and was looking for the best set up software & hardware available in today’s market
SRdesign
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SRdesign »

I built my own table and gantry and bought an electronics package and z axis from candcnc. I wasn’t interested in building my own electronics, so that was an easy decision. At first I wanted to build my own z axis but after I started getting into building the table I decided to pay the $600ish dollars for the z axis and be done with it. For me personally I think I made the right decision, I like my table and I am happy with my electronics package. Building your own gantry from scratch is not that hard either.
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
SRdesign

Post by SRdesign »

As far as what to buy, do you mean electronics or linear motion components? You will get a variety of opinions on what is the best components to install for your table so ultimately it’s up to you on what you want to install. When I built my table I looked at tables that I would buy if I were to buy one built by a reputable company, then I just tried to use as many of the same components that they use. I like the star lab tables so I tried to use the same parts that they use. I obviously have some limitations as to what I could do in my home shop so there’s some things that fall short compared to their tables but trying to copy a well built table seemed to work well for me as a guide.
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Just one thing on a water table. If you do build one, do not do what I did. I built a picture frame out of angle. Then I welded the bottom sheet to the angle. It warped bad. Get yourself a nice piece of stainless and have it break bent and then just weld up the corners.
SRdesign

Post by SRdesign »

TJS wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:17 am Just one thing on a water table. If you do build one, do not do what I did. I built a picture frame out of angle. Then I welded the bottom sheet to the angle. It warped bad. Get yourself a nice piece of stainless and have it break bent and then just weld up the corners.
:Like definitely a good piece of advice!
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
Triple S
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Triple S »

Yes I have no interest in building electronics I will definitely buy a plug and play package as far as the water tray I really hadn’t put much thought into it but that definitely makes sense or get sheet of steel6x12 and bend corners I definitely appreciate all the input I have picked up the steel for the table I was planning on buying the magnum seven gantry just for ease in time not sure if you think that price is in the ballpark for a gantry - I do have a gantry off a router table but I think it’s way too heavy duty for the speed of a plasma
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Triple S wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:44 pm Yes I want to build table 5x10 and gantry but no interest in building electronics and was looking for the best set up software & hardware available in today’s market
If that's the case definitely look into C&CNC and Flashcut CNC both have complete packages to get your table and gantry going. Post back with your progress as you build :Like
Triple S
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Triple S »

yes i will post when i get going, running a little slow as i had surgery on arm and will be handicap for a while but did pick up steel for build the other day so just getting ducks in a row so that I'm ready i will be good to go, but also need to figure out how to post here
Triple S
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Triple S »

sorry post pictures
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

YOu click on "Full Editor & Preview" then down below the "Attachments" then "add files". Then navigate to to the place on you hard drive they are stored and click on the ones you want to attach. After you have them selected click on place on line for each one hitting enter after each to have them on a line. This also works for files you want to post, some things will need to be in a ZIP format.

Have fun
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Triple S
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Triple S »

Thank you
Triple S
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Triple S »

I have a gantry for router table for sale I’m sure it would have to be somebody close to Ky as pretty heavy to ship , you can pm as I haven’t figured out how to load pictures yet or just have not had time to follow directions I was given
Triple S
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Triple S »

3323550D-F063-46EF-8FC1-2B4BC7D39436.jpeg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Triple S
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Triple S »

Well there’s a learning curve I don’t know why the picture of my trailer and lift is in there but I bought a router table took the gantry off the router motor itself on the Z access is burn up I do have the other motors I’m assuming they’re good never tried them
Triple S
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Triple S »

795E4608-104A-492E-A5E6-AE3F6E48A935.jpeg
Came off this model table

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Triple S
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Triple S »

I have the complete table but I’m going to use the base and build my frame on top of it and
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Good plan that is a beast, I worked on a local guy's router table, his other one had 2 routers mounted and it was not that big.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Triple S
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Triple S »

Well then as you know the gantry I have is way too heavy for a Plasma Table and it’s not wide enough not that I can’t make it wider but way too heavy duty

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”