My Masterpiece (3 x 1,5 Meter)

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: My Masterpiece (3 x 1,5 Meter)

Post by Retro »

Im using this piece of shit: https://www.poscope.com/product/plasmasensout/
There is a test mode to test the up and down signals so the Z-Axis should move - but it cant because the OK Signal. Im thinking about turning off the OK Signal so theres just UP/DOWN.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

If you have an arcOK output on the plasma cutter, I would try use it and and avoid using the synthesised ArcOK on the THC if its possible. They are always problematic.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

I only got a CNC-Outlet for the THC to measure the voltage - not more. Thats a 800 bucks plasma source - not a Hyptherm or better Kjellberg.
The wiring is right, i've done it twice at least. Polabs says its my fault in the software. I configured it as they said.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

I can't help further as I have no experience. (Unless you want to transition to Linuxcnc :) )
Its very easy to create your own reliable arcOK signal with a simple reed relay as shown here:
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/pla ... eed-arc-ok
I have never done this but I am told it never fails.
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

do you think maybe the fibre optic cable is damaged?

there seems to be two Half's to that thc.

one has the voltage sense / conversion part,

that seems to be mains powered.

then there is the optical link cable.

and then the extra low voltage bit which has its own power supply.

the manuals are not very good but what error codes do you get if you unplug the optical cable?

I am guessing that it outputs a pwm signal via the optical cable proportional to the sensed voltage range

if e1 is the same code if the cable is plugged in or unplugged I'd first look at the ends of the cable and the transmitter and receiver ports (the actual hole it plugs into)

although reluctantly I'd wipe the ends of the cable with a very clean cloth (microfiber or something like that) with either Isopropyl alcohol or methylated spirits.

I'd get a compressed air supply and give the ports a blast.... if it ain't working.... anything is an improvement....

at each stage I'd retest....

I'd also have a look (not with your eyes!) what is being transmitted.... I'd wire up a 9v battery to the 0-10v inputpins and see if I get a reading

if then unplug the cable and see in a dark room if there is any output and if it's transmitted (shine it on a table or black surface as it's probably a class 1 laser)
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

You are trying to help me with a problem i already solved - like i wrote some posts ago. The E-1 error is no more. It seems like the driver intermitted the signals to the THC. Now with a own power supply everything is fine except the always on OK in test mode.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

News: I got the new driver and theres the same issue with the Z-Axis. But now its only moving downwards. Not up. And still continuing moving down very slow after the fast movement.
I don't want anymore. Too much issues with that fucking thing. Wheres the Problem? The Motor? The expensive board?

EDIT: The damn board is broken. I rewired the X and Z Axis to each others outlets and now the X-Axis got the problems :Mad
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Man you've lost me on this one. Forgive me if this has already been covered, just don't want to go back and read through all of this thread. Is your THC still in the mix or have you eliminated it from the equation until you get everything functioning well without it?
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

The THC got no more the E-1 Error. It seems to be good. But theres still the Issue in the test-mode that nothing moves. The Planet CNC sees the inputs of down/ok/up. But OK is always active in this mode and even if i disable the OK-Input it still won't move.

Now the Problem with the moving Z-Axis is solved, so the Controller-Board seems broken. I already sent an Mail to the support - maybe they can help or i have to replace it. Maybe i damaged somehow the 4th Axis Outlet. No clue how but its broken. But i need all 4 Axis.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I wish I could help you, but I'm just not at all familiar with your controller setup. I would try running it in non-test mode and perhaps install a sharpie pen holder in place of your torch and do some testing by drawing instead of cutting. Just an idea.
David
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Alright: The board will be sent to the manufaturer in slovenia and get checked for errors or smth like that. If they find the problem they fix it free of charge and i'll pay just the shipping.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Ok, well good luck. Curious how this turns out for you.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Very disappointing so far to be honest. I planned to cut since February, now its April.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Today i got the new controlling Board and wired it up. But now the Z-Axis is not moving. I rewire that one again but i aint got much hope. The Stepper gets warm and is not movable even by hand.

Update: I rewired it EXACTLY as i was. Now its working. God damnit.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Retro wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:53 am Today i got the new controlling Board and wired it up. But now the Z-Axis is not moving. I rewire that one again but i aint got much hope. The Stepper gets warm and is not movable even by hand.

Update: I rewired it EXACTLY as i was. Now its working.
Gosh Darn!!
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Ahhmm ok.

I wired the plasma cutter itself up and tried to cut. The Polabs THC always sends an OK Signal and the Lamp is light up on the controller. I tried to cut a piece and the first time it workes - adjustments needed in form of the voltage and height, but worked. After that i saw the E-1 failure again. Connection failure. Man that sucks...
I'm thinking about buying a new THC.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

This topic has been ongoing for a while so I don't recall all the details and care not to go back and read them all but have you been successful in cutting on a consistent basis without THC? THC's can be very problematic and on a fresh build I would want to see the machine cut consistently well without any failure before introducing a THC into the mix.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

My Problem is that the table isn't perfectly flat. It bows in the middle about 1 cm. Thats why I bought a THC.

I try a cut on the flatter parts of the table.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Retro wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:18 am My Problem is that the table isn't perfectly flat. It bows in the middle about 1 cm. Thats why I bought a THC.

Maybe fix the bow.
David
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

adbuch wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:45 am
Retro wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:18 am My Problem is that the table isn't perfectly flat. It bows in the middle about 1 cm. Thats why I bought a THC.

Maybe fix the bow.
David
I am guessing i may be too late to fix the bow without a big tear down and rebuild. THC will do the trick to solve that for sure but definitely cut on smaller flatter areas to confirm 100% that everything would function perfect without THC consistently if there was no bow and then the THC all you have to tackle and I am sure the guys here can help you pick one and get it operational.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Yeah, its a pretty nasty thing of getting the water out of the table and rip everything apart AGAIN. But i managed to cut some pieces. I drew some 50x50 mm parts with a 20 mm hole in it. Sooooo yes. I got those parts and... they're far from 50 x 50 mm. They are more like 70 x 60 mm and the hole is the exact opposite of being perfectly round.
I guess thats only some adjustments of the steps/mm and that will be fine? Otherwise the cut looks very neat - just some adjustments in height and travelspeed, little dross and clean edges. The edges are beveled but i think that will the THC make perfect.

To get the table flat i need to pour the water out of the table and raise every slat and tack underneath it. Theres something like 70 slats i think, 3 tacks per slat.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Unbelieveble! Its cutting - but only thick stuff with the whole amperage without problems. The cut looks neat but the holes are not perfect round. Smth with the config of the motors in the software or is that a mechanical problem?

I tried to cut today 3 mm parts on a sheet but it always breaks down. Controller lost. New tip and relatively clean air - not perfect yet but better then the last try.
Seems like theres still an issue with grounding?

The THC gets the E-1 from time to time but after all it still sends the OK Signal - doesn't matter if up or down, theres always an OK. Thats no problem of the software, the device itself sends it. I see the green LED on the controller.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I think your edge quality looks good. You are making progress.
David
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Yes, but the dross on 3mm is too much. The picture above Shows 8mm Steel.
But to improve that, I have to get the THC running. It displays most of the time the voltage but the E-1 Strikes all the time. I shut the Power off an on and its fine. It seems, the Part that measures gets a HF shock. Im looking for a way to ground the cable between Device and cutter.
But the Problem with the always on OK LED will be still there.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Do you have a separate earth ground installed and connected to cutting grates and table frame? This would be a 5/8" diameter copper clad steel rod 8 ft. long driven into the earth and connected to the table with a heavy copper cable.
David

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”