First Plasma Build - 4'x4'+

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
IslandSpark
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

First Plasma Build - 4'x4'+

Post by IslandSpark »

Hey guys, I'm working on designing my first plasma CNC build. While I'm not new to building/Fabbing (3d printers, PrintNC router etc) This is my first from scratch design and I'm looking for some feedback. Its a 4'x4' (plus a bit of wiggle room) plasma with built-in welding table. I plan to build this machine using rails/ballscrews and servo's. I know its likely overkill but I have access to a lot of near new components with my day job in industrial automation. I'll be running Linux CNC with servo drives over Ethercat and a Mesa 7i76 with THCAD for torch height control and interfacing my hypertherm 45xp to the system.

1) with a 5mm/rev ballscrew and 3000RPM rated festo servo's (up to 6900RPM if req'd) I expect to be able to run with no further gear reduction @ around 600IPM. If required i might be able to snag some 3:1 planetary reducers from work which would put me at ~200IPM (at rated servo speed). Any insight here? I don't expect to need additional reduction for resolution or torque requirements but you may know better?

2) Dual Y Drives allow for some racking and then automated gantry squaring after homing using the prox's and encoders, however i am a little worried about my bottom mount ballscrew and the lever forces it will produce moving the gantry, Initially I've gone with dual carriage rails on the Y axis to help resist this levering force but I'm an electrician not an engineer...?

Further thoughts/feedback?
Plasmax2.PNG
Plasmax1.PNG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: First Plasma Build - 4'x4'+

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard
Good start with the other CNC tables, I am not a fan of ball screws for plasma but that's me. You may want to look at the 7I76E as it has more inputs and outputs. I found with the THCAD-10 for THC I had to switch the Hypertherm to 20:1, I hope you have more experiences with LinuxCNC than I had. I am still having minor problems, QTPlasmaC is a great GUI lots of info shown on the screen. But the Z action is controlled by the GUI and the SheetCam tools are called Material and all are selected when in the GUI. The G-codes commands are different from other software. Here is the front page of the GUI.
Have fun
Tom
QTPlasmaC GUI.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”