Electronics for new build with Powermax 45xp

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
ClarKent101
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Electronics for new build with Powermax 45xp

Post by ClarKent101 »

I'm about to embark on building a CNC plasma table, I have a light gantry I'll be building to start and a welded 8 x 4 table.

I'm trying to decide on the electronics, ideally I would like THC with possibly ohmic sensing if that's the best to use? I already bought the Hypertherm Powermax 45xp with CNC torch and CPC port.

Can anyone recommend the best electronics to buy that won't break the bank? From the research I've done so far, Linux CNC seems the most likely set up I'll start with, using an existing PC I have lying around. Some of the THC kits look great but seem to be ~$3000 which is probably too much right now.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Electronics for new build with Powermax 45xp

Post by acourtjester »

Ok I will give you my experiences, I have build 8 tables from scratch, and I still don't think I'm an expert. I have used different electronics packages and software as I went along. I have used different electronics/THC combinations. Starting out was Mach 3 and Proma THC then CandCNC electronics
with Mach 3 then to UCCNC and their software. The table I am building now is a Linuxcnc based setup, I have struggled but am now getting my head around the software (with great help from the Linuxcnc forum). It by far is the most flexible due to the number of signals (input & output) and screen sets. And price wise the cheapest, next is the MyPlasm system. You can use the PC you have by setting it up with Linux base (debian) then adding Linuxcnc and configuring it for the table setup you have.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
ClarKent101
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ClarKent101 »

8 tables! Well, how do you compare CandCNC electronics to the others, is that the best you've used so far?

Yes I think the Linux build will be the most likely, the THC is what is throwing me off at the moment and the controller to pair with all the steppers etc.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

With all the drive section is fairly common and easy to configure by and DIY type. the CandCNC is a good product the version I used worked very well, they have switched to Linux too. Now they sell a complete package with a loaded PC so that may be a quicker route, but for a DIY guy it is a little expensive. There are members here that have their setup and may report about how well it is working. Using the Mesa electronics you can bundle the controller needs (THC and Ohmic sensor) from them, the software (linuxcnc) is free. I buy my motors, drivers and power supplies from eBay and there are other fair priced vendors. UCCNC is fair priced but no THC from them, for me that is the sticking point. The THC suppliers have dried up I would have went with another Price THC but the original owner is gone, and some are having problems with them lately. You can read posts here about different units and how they are doing.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
ClarKent101
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ClarKent101 »

I was looking into the Mesa card set up but didn't see anything for THC and Ohmic from them, do you know which products I would need there? I would definitely want THC Ohmic sensing, I believe the CNC torch I bought has a connection for Ohmic at the end. (Hypertherm Powermax 45xp)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

With the Mesa you have a main board ( I'm using the 7I76E) and 2 add on board (1 THCAD-5 Ohmic sensor ,and 1 THCAD-10 for THC), my cost in the US with shipping was about $350. Here are images of the electronics in my controller cabinet. You can see the 3 boards and power supply and in another image are the drivers and power supplies for them. This board uses a network connection to the PC. Correct on the Hypertherm I have a PM65, they sell an adapter for the Machine torches for the Ohmic connection.
DSCN4799.JPG
DSCN4801.JPG
DSCN4806.JPG
DSCN4795.JPG
new torch holder Ohmic attachment.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Blackslacks
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Blackslacks »

Hey Tom whats the orange box in the upper left corner of your layout?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

It is an opto relay for the torch fire. little 3-D printed cover for it too.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

acourtjester wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:02 pm It is an opto relay for the torch fire. little 3-D printed cover for it too.
Very cool. You can also use the 7i76e's built in spindle relay to avoid the need for an external relay. It is polarised so if you get it wrong, the torch comes on all the time so take care! Scared the be jesus out of me!

I've done it both ways...

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”