Plastic RV Waste Tank for water table

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
RebelGoat
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Plastic RV Waste Tank for water table

Post by RebelGoat »

Hello,

I am in the process of designing a 2' x 4' CNC plasma cutting table. I have never used a plasma cutter, and don't own one as of yet. In the past I have used angle grinders and on complicated stuff I have had access to a CNC laser cutter.

I have a some used RV water storage tanks from an RV to flatbed conversion I did. The RV black tank is almost sized perfectly for my table and would be easy to use as it is molded to sit between the 2" frame rails of the trailer and is slopped for easy draining. I have cut the top off of it (see image).

Has anyone had experience using plastic for a water table? Would there be a problem with it melting the plastic by heating up the slats or the cutter piercing all the way through the water to the bottom? At its shallowest it is 2-1/2" Deep and the cutter would rest 2" into the table on all the axis, so it would not get near the lips of it.

WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Plastic RV Waste Tank for water table

Post by WyoGreen »

That's an intriguing question! I'm standing here looking at my metal water table pan, and I see no marks of any kind on the paint I sprayed it with. So my answer would be...... maybe. With what I'm seeing, I'd give it a try, but have a few buckets handy just in case!

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
RebelGoat
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by RebelGoat »

Well that's encouraging! :D I could easily put a sheet of expanded metal below the slats as well to catch the larger pieces that fall through (which might retain more heat). It would also make it easier for me to fish them back out.

The way I figure, the tank has been around for over 50 years as it is. May as well put it back to work.

Thanks for the feedback!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

RebelGoat wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:49 am Hello,

I am in the process of designing a 2' x 4' CNC plasma cutting table. I have never used a plasma cutter, and don't own one as of yet. In the past I have used angle grinders and on complicated stuff I have had access to a CNC laser cutter.

I have a some used RV water storage tanks from an RV to flatbed conversion I did. The RV black tank is almost sized perfectly for my table and would be easy to use as it is molded to sit between the 2" frame rails of the trailer and is slopped for easy draining. I have cut the top off of it (see image).

Has anyone had experience using plastic for a water table? Would there be a problem with it melting the plastic by heating up the slats or the cutter piercing all the way through the water to the bottom? At its shallowest it is 2-1/2" Deep and the cutter would rest 2" into the table on all the axis, so it would not get near the lips of it.

I see no problem using a plastic water tray, or a plastic liner for a metal water tray. You would want the slats to be metal, and using some expanded mesh below the slats (but above the bottom of the water tray) would be a good idea.
David
RebelGoat
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by RebelGoat »

Cool! Thanks for your help guys! This is roughly how the tank would sit in the table.

Kevin
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Nice drawing!
David
RebelGoat
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by RebelGoat »

Thanks! Now I need to make a final decision on electronics, OT, but I'm thinking of one of these:

1- Openbuilds Blackbox and electronics combo. Simple, but no eloquent THC option
2- Myplasm with THC. Somewhat simple, but mixed reviews on performance.
3- LinuxCNC with Mesa 7i96 and THCad. More complicated, but reportedly robust.

Oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Kevin
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Option 3 by a long shot. If you get stuck, ask for help on the Linuxcnc forum and we'll guide you through the process.
There are too many people who have migrated to Linuxcnc from other platforms now to ignore it as a serious contender.
RebelGoat
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by RebelGoat »

The LinuxCNC setup is what I'm leaning towards. I have quite a bit of Linux and electronics experience, I just want my PC to be as, 'set it and forget it' as possible. I have to many hobbies as is, lol. Thanks for the reply.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”