Head can not move small distances

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
iancaz
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Head can not move small distances

Post by iancaz »

Okay, this is likely something simple, but I'm a noob, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out!

I'm using OpenBuilds CONTROL software to run my Arduino UNO based table. I can successfully jog 10mm, or 100mm per jog, but if I take it down to 1mm, or .1mm, the table clicks & nothing moves. I have occasionally seen it "rock" in the direction I expect it to go, but then it falls back to where it just was.

I tried dropping acceleration down & it did provide some help (moved at 1mm per step), but it was so slow, there's no way I could use it that way to actually cut anything.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can provide additional hardware info if necessary, but not sure what is relevant.

Thanks,
Ian
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Head can not move small distances

Post by weldguy »

Hey Ian, I am not pro but it sounds like your stepper motors are not moving in fine enough steps to complete these short moves. Could be a gear reduction issue or a stepper driver setup issue but I am not sure, just throwing that out there.
iancaz
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by iancaz »

I'm wondering if I need to use (more) micro-stepping?
My stepper drivers minimum pulses/revolution setting is 400, but my stepper motors are 200 pulses/rev, so I'm already doing some micro-stepping. I'm wondering if increasing this would give me the increased resolution I'm looking for?
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Im not familiar with your equipment but it’s certainly worth a try. Likely just a flip of a couple dup switchs or something to make it happen. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

iancaz wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:09 pm I'm wondering if I need to use (more) micro-stepping?
My stepper drivers minimum pulses/revolution setting is 400, but my stepper motors are 200 pulses/rev, so I'm already doing some micro-stepping. I'm wondering if increasing this would give me the increased resolution I'm looking for?
Hi Ian,
I built a small cnc router/plasma cutter several years ago using an Arduino Uno R3 with GRBL control. As you most likely know, GRBL can be programed into the Arduino and converts G-Code to stepper motor xyz motion. GRBL has a list of programmable parameters for things like steps/rev, acceleration, turns ratio, etc. I am using Nema 23 stepper motors, and have the micro-stepping set to 16 with dip switches on the stepper motor drivers - which gives 3200 pulses/rev. of the stepper motor. Your 400 setting would translate to 800 pulses/rev. Depending on your turns ratio, 800 pulses/rev. may not be able to provide sufficient resolution for 1mm or 0.1mm increments of motion. You also want to make sure that you have matched the output/drive current of the stepper motor drive to the current rating of your motors. This is normally selectable with dip switches on the stepper motor drive.

I would need more information about your parameter settings and mechanical ratios to try to help you in more detail.
David
20201110_231110_resized.jpg
20201110_231145_resized.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

iancaz
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by iancaz »

As it turns out, the biggest change (and immediate fix) was to change $1=255 (Step idle delay), to essentially shut it off, to keep my steppers from rolling back after a step.

The second suggestion, which is the same as yours, was to increase my micro-stepping to 16,000 steps/rev, or 1/8th micro-stepping. This gave me MUCH better resolution overall.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Ian - glad to hear you've got it fixed. Maybe you could post some pictures of your project so we can see what you are working on.
David

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”