4x8 table assembly and welding questions.

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
ScottRa
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

4x8 table assembly and welding questions.

Post by ScottRa »

I have the basic framework parts cut, some grinding to fit still needed but 26 pieces of 3x3 stacked up. Just going to pose some questions on construction if anyone would care to share.

Leveling : I have a Johnson digital level, .1 res, +/- .1 accuracy. (Degrees) Also have an old transit, strictly bubble leveled, but I have no idea of the accuracy, we used it around the farm for dirt work projects. Have also considered some pvc pipe with a couple elbows on the end as a water level reference. The level is obviously the easiest to use. Is that enough accuracy for the job or should I double check with one of the other methods?

Assembly methods: What have you found works well or maybe not so well? Legs welded to top beams first or top beams joined to cross beams first etc. I’m debating with myself as this build (Bulltear) is going to have a little twist. The three top cross pieces are v shaped with a 21 degree angle down to a short leg in the middle of each. Did this for some extra clearance for the rotocut should I ever want it. There will be drop in cross pieces and center longitudinal beam for conventional plasma. It is also going to be boxed around the circumference down lower on the legs. I’m thinking it might be best to do it upside down squaring and leveling the top beams and strongly tacking some temporary steel on the ends to keep them aligned while installing the v’s and center legs.

Thanks for any experiences you’ve had. I did try searching with several different phrases but couldn’t come up with much actually assembly. Maybe most leave those details out. I’ve welded a lot of things over the years around the farm, but this will have to be close tolerance. Bulltear reccomended 1/16” parallel and square.

Scott
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 4x8 table assembly and welding questions.

Post by acourtjester »

The main thing is the flatness of the top and square, no wobble. Do not over weld while doing the construction so you warp things. I built mine on a Rotisserie so I could shim thing as I went along, until it was fully together. This allowed me to get in different positions for welding, do lots of cross bracing of the legs. A real bugger for one man to get it off the rotisserie to mount the rails. :HaHa
frame build (7).JPG
frame build (12).JPG
frame build A (1).JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
ScottRa
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ScottRa »

Thanks ACJ!

The rails mount on the sides of the top beams so plumb on them will be key as well as width, flat and square. Then when I drill and tap for the rails it will be keeping the rails flat and even. Dont have a rotisserie but that would be handy too as I’ve got some vehicles that would like to have a body off resto some day. Do have a skid steer so that will be the means to move the table. I’ll avoid overhead welding if at all possible. I got burned out (pun intended) on that several years back when I shortened a 43’ Timte flatbed to 35’ and rebuilt the front end, fifth wheel plate and pin. I’ll get some pictures posted when I get going on the welding.

Scott
Last edited by ScottRa on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You mean like this
body to frame (3).JPG
DSCF2468 A.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
ScottRa
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ScottRa »

Yep, I could of used one 35’ long and 4 times heavier. 👍
So, who’s hiding behind the engine in that first pic? ;)

Scott
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

That looks like a straw hat placed over the carb - maybe to keep the dust out?
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You got it, still a one man shop no short helpers here :HaHa :HaHa
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”