THC Help - Polabs PlasmaSensOut

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Charlie6017
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

THC Help - Polabs PlasmaSensOut

Post by Charlie6017 »

Question, I built a 5x4 plasma table and am using Mach3 and a PoLabs plasmasens THC. Everything is hooked up and working but I cant figure out what Post to use on Sheetcam. I do not have a floating head and it seems like all the THC post processors also include floating heads. So after a few cuts of a project my Z axis is starting really high up and the THC doesnt have time to get it down before the cuts start. At the end of the cut the Z axis is much higher than what it says on Mach3. I edited the switchoffset to 0 but it is still doing it. I ran the program line by line and it seems like the G92 z0.0 is making my plasma head go up. I dont have any limit switches or probes on the z axis. When I use Mach3 Plasma without THC it works fine. Any help would be great. Thanks
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: THC Help

Post by acourtjester »

You may recheck the calibration for the Z axis, the G92 is resetting the Z to zero as it should. But this is to happen after the floating head has found the metals surface, to correct for warping of the metal, at the start of each cut function. Without that touch you can be way off where when it zeros out the Z DRO and the height of the torch. Both a floating head switch and a Ohmic sensor do the same thing to correct any error in the torch height for accurate positioning. When using a Ohmic sensor the floating head switch acts as a safety.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Charlie6017
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: THC Help

Post by Charlie6017 »

OK So during my recent research I realized I need either a floating head or an ohmic sensor. I just ordered a floating head z axis, so hopefully I get this thing working properly when it arrives. Thanks

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”