Upgraded to comandcnc ??

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Upgraded to comandcnc ??

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

I have a table I built a few years ago with candcnc bladerunner controls. Uses mach3 system is windows xp. Still works and does about everything I need, but xp computers are getting hard to find.
so that leads to the question at hand have any of you upgraded to Toms Linux based system if so which one desktop or mini pc, how much of a learing curve was it.
most important are you glad you did the up grade, why ?
Thanks
Mike
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Upgraded to comandcnc ??

Post by djreiswig »

Do you have the Ethercut? My pre commandcnc system is running Windows 7, but it is an Ethercut system.
If not and you are handy, you might be able to switch the parallel port to an ESS Smoothstepper. I'm not sure what the differences are, but the Smoothstepper acts like a parallel port and uses a Mach3 plug-in. Might be cheaper than a full upgrade.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Im thinking mine is NOT ethercut, not sure it is parallel port connected . As of now nothing is wrong it does what I need it for, but last year pc crashed and ii became clear finding older pc is getting harder to do.
I hate to fix whats not broken but preventive maintance is another thing.
My luck Linux will become obsolete a week after I upgrade
Mike
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I have bought a few refurb PC from Overstocked.com they have Dell PC with operating systems on them and parallel ports form less then $120. Just look at the back side view and read the spects to be sure it has a parallel port.
https://www.overstock.com/Electronics/D ... 3&recidx=4
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

I'm very happy with the upgrade from Mach3 to CommandCNC (Linux). The weaknesses of the system are in the hardware, imo (PWM, hub, THC card), which are largely shared between both versions. The Linux system does everything Mach3 did, and many things it can't do. If you're going to stick with CandCNC, I'd go with the CommandCNC system.

That said, some folks seem to feel the parallel port version was the most "bulletproof" of the systems.

I bought a Dell refurb PC with my Linux upgrade. Didn't care for the mini. I also purchased a used/refurb Dell 755i box from eBay or NewEgg or something, as a backup. Loaded CommandCNC on it from the flash drives supplied by CandCNC with my Linux upgrade. In addition, I still have the Dell box I used for Mach, which should work for Linux as well (I believe they're the same box).

A friend of mine found a source for the mini-machines, which seem to match what CandCNC are using, at a significant discount. If you're interested in that, I'll look up the info.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Im a little leary of the mini for the fact if candcnc goes out of business for some reason I may be stuck with something I don't know anything about.
Tech things are not my strong suit, we all have different things we are good at, tech stuff aint mine,
I have never felt comfortable owning anything that cant be sourced from only one place.
Mike
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

This is the mini I was referencing earlier. I've not done the research myself, but I've been told this is essentially the same, if not exactly the same, as the mini sold directly by CandCNC.

https://www.amazon.com/QOTOM-BareboneMi ... gzW6dS3UNU

It sure looks be the same:

https://www.candcnc.net/store-home/commandcnc-mini-pc/

Keep in mind, when you buy from CandCNC it's (in theory) already to going to be pre-loaded, and working with the software you need.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

There is nothing magic about the mini . Its an Intel based J1900 PC with an SSD, 2 - 4 Gigs of RAM and built in dual Ethernet ports. CommandCNC will also run on a lot of other PC platforms. The key is to have the correct Ubuntu and RTK (we supply it on a bootable memory stick) and the CommandCNC Installer (also on a separate memory stick) Not all PC's will run the Real Iime Kernel (RTK) for LINUXCNC We buy the mini from the same sources you can. I would worry more about them (in China) going out of business than us But you are wise to want to not single source everything.

As an ongoing Engineering project we continually test other computers and also updated Ubuntu and the RTK.
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Tom I wasn't implying you were gonna bail out of the business any time soon. My thoughts on china if they stop shipping for a month we are all screwed.
I did not realize the mini was a readily available item, thought it was candcnc specific.
Thanks for the info
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

I've got Commandcnc on Linux using a refurb tower PC from CandCNC. Both have worked great going on 2yr of ownership with 1.5 of those years running 20hr a week (hobby & side-biz).
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I've been running on CommandCNC since it first came out and like it a lot. It seems to run smoother and faster. I've had no problems with it at all (other than my own operator errors!)

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”