New Base Table - Features

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

New Base Table - Features

Post by Capstone »

So I'm in the middle of welding up a new base for my table. My table copies the required base specs used on the HD Gantry from Precision Plasma.

I'm extending the base from 34" depth (on the Y) to 48" depth at the feet and 60" for a top rail. I'm keeping the width of 54in to match the current gantry. My overall cutting area will expand from 48x28 to 48x46. :| I've already upgraded my gantry with the stepper gear-reduction assemblies as well.
2016-07-24 11.32.36.jpg
The holes on the side are where I'll have access to bolts to hold down the 2x2 rail platforms. I'm using 3x3x1/8 box tubing as before.
2016-07-24 14.35.12.jpg
Here's a labeled pic of some upgrades I'm adding as lessons learned from the last table base.
1. Casters are used really rarely. You can see my old table in the background with a super complicated bottle jack arrangement to raise the table ont casters that are built in to the table. It was usefull when I had to store the table almost nightly, but now that's no longer practical so I now have designed a caster wheel that slips on to the corners and is held in place with a c-clamp. A floor jack on one side, then the next, will take the place of the bottle jacks.
2016-07-24 14.37.18.jpg
The strap catches will keep the tie downs at the proper angle for best effectiveness.

My next step is to weld up the water table platform, also made from 3x3 to hold the water table itself. The water table is already done and will be 51"x 51" with 2.75in slats.

I'm still considering having the entire base powdercoated so see my other thread on this subject if you have some input to share here

Thanks for checking this out.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: New Base Table - Features

Post by Capstone »

I haven't finished testing, but did manage to get the gantry back on and making excellent dry runs. I now have a 49(x) x 45(Y) cutting envelope.
20160728_195355_0.jpg
20160728_195400.jpg
I'm hoping I can figure out a way to use that the floor space under the table as a place to store 4x8 sheets with some kind of rolling material rack that will allow me to "solo" a full sheet of up to 10ga 4x8 sheet onto the table. I've seen others using a motorcycle lift, but I didn't think this feature out ahead and don't have the clearance for a stock motorcycle lift from HarboFreight. Ideas appreciated... :) I have 8.5 inches of clearance.
20160728_195345.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

check out what SeanP uses to handle sheets in this post he has 2 videos that are slicker then Whale snot :lol: :lol: :D
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... 09#p115109

Some others have used vertical storage of sheets on roll around dollies.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Thanks Jester,

The side load dolly won't work for me. If I had a shop as big as Sean's, none of this would really be an issue. I would have already built an overheard 5ton motorized gantry. But, what you see is what I got as far as space. The old table will move out, but beyond that, I'm working in a 20x20 space with half of it filled with a non-movable tablesaw and benches. It's pretty much a miracle I can get all this stuff in the space at all.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”