cheap THC

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
eric.l.boggs@gmail.com
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

cheap THC

Post by eric.l.boggs@gmail.com »

So i'm a broke guy at the moment, but I really need a tch unit to speed up my production and I'm not a broke guy anymore. Is there anybody here that has had success making a diy unit or one of the Chinese toys from ebay? thanks in advance
Greolt
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: cheap THC

Post by Greolt »

There are undoubtedly better and more expensive THCs available and many on this forum will poo hoo, but here is an option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compact-THC3T-0 ... Swqu9VL4TZ
kbenz
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by kbenz »

would help to know what u are running?
CandCNC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Draftsight
Hypertherm 65 machine torch
Millermatic 210
Passport plus
Spoolmate 150
Miller Bobcat 225
http://benzweldingandfabrication.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Benz-Wel ... 468?ref=hl
brndave
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by brndave »

dunno about the OP but i am having difficuly locating a reasonable thc for a torchmate with tomahawk cutter. To be honest i am really new to the THC been doing it manually and have ruined way to many projects.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

There are a couple of things you will need to find out, what type of starting does you Tomahawk have ( HF or blow back).
And how would a THC connect to your electronics, some manufactures systems are setup so you can only use their THC.
There are some low priced THC that can be used on Plasma table but you need to know where to hook them up. There are mainly 3 signals used arc OK, UP, and Down to move the Z axis. These would go to the BOB board for communications with the PC so the software can direct the THC operations. You will also need a floating head assembly to detect the metal surface to position the torch for piercing and cutting heights and the addition of a ohmic sensor would be good to have. These are 3 separate options that work together to make the table start and maintain good cutting operations.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Here's the problem as simple as I can make it. The Torchmate system (based on older Flashcut) does not support a THC. There is no input to the Torchmate except HOLD. Even if there was (inputs for up and down) it would not work because the delay is too long for real time feedback. The THC has to be a total standalone (does everything: Touch -off, pierce height, cut height, voltage preset , delays and end end of cut raise. There is no integration with the tool path. It has to have its own motor and "lifter" Its not the Plasma cutter you have to worry about....its the fact you have a closed hardware and control system that is made to use their AVHC with. Torchmate controllers run Torchmate software...period. No MACH3, no LinuxCNC. The "cheap" THC's need a control software that has built-in THC Logic and the really cheap ones need a realtime feedback path (Parallel port) . There is rumor of a Russian THC that is being designed to be a total standalone but I think the target price (by the time you add in the cost of the Z stuff) might put it outside the "cheap" adjective. Less than the TM AVHC at 2800.00 but I guess its all relative.
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

There are many THC units available today from simple to fully integrated and from simple to standalone. The Russian unit has been online for a while now and reports for users say it is top notch. There are even CNC motion controllers that have teh full THC function built in now. Simply feed them the arc voltage or a conversion frequency and arc ok signal and they do the rest.

The older Torchmates do have a quazy type Z axis and a drive so if you add one of the newer self contained THC units it should work and a lot less than
$2800 .

There is a lot that has changed in CNC THC controls over the last few years. AND more to come (;-)

Just a thought, (;-) TP
andrewshad
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by andrewshad »

Hello!
Eric, If you still have interest to find good and inexpensive THC for your plasma table, you can try this THC controller http://neuroncnc.com/products/neuronalone
This is full stand alone and I think will be work fine with your Mach3/Mach4 or Linux or any CNC.
Read User Manual for clear installation.
eric.l.boggs@gmail.com
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

so sorry about the late reply, life happened. Thank you to all of you that have given me suggestion. I now have time once again to look into this.
eric.l.boggs@gmail.com
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

I'm running a torchmate growth series 2x2 currently but will be growing here soon to a 4x4
Hambone404
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Hambone404 »

I am using the Neuron THC Lite. It works very well and customer service is top notch! Using Mach3 and Hypertherm Powermax 45.

Brad
legendarylarry
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by legendarylarry »

I have installed the ROBOT3T THC3T-02 with step/dir on my Mach 3 machine but now the Z axis won't move. It just clicks slightly when I try to move it with keyboard commands. If I unplug the thc3-02 connector and use jumpers to bypass it the z axis moves properly. I have checked my wiring and used 2 different voltage supplies but no change. I have emailed the company but have received no response. Has anyone installed this THC with success?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I Googled that THC and it looks like you need to have this set in Mach for it to work without plasma
THC 4.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
legendarylarry
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by legendarylarry »

I have checked that box, but there is no change. I am following the directions sent to me by the company. Step 4 is to connect the wires from the BOB z axis connections to the THC controller and then from there to the motor driver. Then it says to turn on the system and move the Z by keyboard commands that normally move the z. That's where I am stuck. It says that if it doesn't move properly, check the power supply, the Mach config and the wiring. I did that. (I don't what else in mach I am suppose to set since there is nothing in the directions.) Then it says that if it doesn't work, the THC is broken. It is new. It shouldn't be broken. I still have no reply from the many emails I have sent the company.
legendarylarry
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by legendarylarry »

PROBLEM SOLVED. I finally got a reply from ROBOT3T. The solution to my THC3T-02 z axis problem was that it won't work if the z-axis step/dir setting in Mach3 is set to "active high". Seems like that would be an important thing to include in the instructions. Anyway, I changed it to active low and now can control my z properly. Of course it changed the direction that the z homed and moved, but was able to fix that by changing direction other direction settings in Mach3. Now I can finish hooking up the plasma and get back to cutting metal.
America2906
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by America2906 »

:Sad hi... I have the same thc and seme proble... need help.. I turn on the dir lowactive and step lowactive.. and it dosent move the z axis manually... cay you hepl me please.... thanks thc3t-02
Rnjfab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Rnjfab »

I have the Thc3t and am struggling to get it to work.

I got the z axis to work by running it I. Low active in Mach 3. Then I had to change the wiring to the motor to have it work in the right direction.

Now it all works as it should but when I try and cut the THC will drive the head up (U setting too high, turn it down a bit and it’s fine), then I get a few perfect cuts, followed by a massive nose dive that breaks the torch off the holder. Then I’ll get a few more good cuts before the system runs for 15mm then stops for 5seconds and goes again.

Need help as well. Please help. This was supposed to make my machine better.

Specs - home made cnc plasma.
Cut 50 plasma cutter.
Mach 3 board.
Nema 23motors, ball screws, linear rails.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”