Update with the build ( almost alive)

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
plasmadog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Update with the build ( almost alive)

Post by plasmadog »

HI Guys
Here is a quick update of my 54”x 37’’ plasma table build, and a couple of questions .
I will start out with a big shout-out to acourtjester senior member in this forum that has inspired me to take on this project with advice and wisdom for me as a newbie and looking to build this as a retirement project.
This table has the following specifications.

Running a Mach3 5 axis board with parallel port and USB
The motors are Nema 23 3x 425 onzes and a 110 onze for the Z
½ acme lead screw for the x
2 T8 x 2mm pitch x 8mmm lead screws for the Y
And a ½ ball screw for the Z
3 Inch deep aluminium water pan and adjustable ratchet wheels
My Limit switches are all in series for now on all axis and E Stop on pin 12 and active. ( Works well)
Built my controller box out a computer case with a 36 volt power supplies and a 12 volt dc for the card and two other separate 12 volt power supplies that controls the optical THC.
I have incorporated a floating head and also a SoftCircuits THC ( optical) controller .

I am planning to go with a Everlast 52i plasma cutter , this table is for cutting 16 and 14 gauge mild steel only, there is still a lot to do before even cutting out a piece of steel.
This project took about 3 months to put together part time I between shovelling snow, work and shores at home .I am at the setting up point for travel on the table now .
I have calibrated both the Z and the X axis but when I got to the paired Y axis I am having this problem!
I can Jog all the way up to 90% speed back and forth no problem, But when I enter a G0 command to move the Y axis for calibrating that axis, the speed is so fast that it will bind up my gantry after the first 4 inches ! ( scary……) emergency stop stop stop lol
I am wondering how to slow down that speed when I enter a value in setting the calibration when I am asked (how far do you want this axis to move) ! I am inches.
I have been at this for a week now. I thought maybe the screw are not lined up , I changed the floppy brass backlash nuts to a POM , I thought by entering a G1 command and feed rate it might help butt cant achieve this in the calibration mode.
Here are my motor settings
X 1600.8681141 349.98 50 0.1295095 5 5
Y 2181.805 400.02 50 0.1295095 5 5
Z 4049.200833 30 8 0.0207215 5 5

Thanks guys for any advice and here is a couple of pictures of the build
Sheers.

PLasmadog
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
20230318_130855.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Update with the build ( almost alive)

Post by acourtjester »

nice work, on both the table and controller to slow down the X and Y travel in calibrations reduce the 349 and 400 values in the motor tune section. IMHO You may look at moving the Z assembly up on the mounting you will be getting water splashing up when cutting. You can also drop the mounting position of the torch holder on the Z assembly to make the torch itself lower. I can see sparks in you future. :Like :Yay
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmadog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by plasmadog »

ok thanks acourtjester for the reply and i wil most definite trie this out and let you know how it goes for sure . i am looking for also to trie and draw out a sample cut with a felt marker on paper to see how this travels , i will check out the youtube to see how this is done.

Sheers

plasmadog
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

That is talked about at the end of this post. :Like
https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35167
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Great looking build!
plasmadog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by plasmadog »

Thanks weldguy.
I found the problem with my build , for some reason i had the dip switches setting on the paired drivers for the Y axis set at different setting.
Matched both up and all is good now .

took a wile to find this lol.
cheers

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”