My Masterpiece (3 x 1,5 Meter)

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: My Masterpiece (3 x 1,5 Meter)

Post by Retro »

I laid a ground from the outside and on that theres the table, the X Axis Traverse and the Z Axis ground seperately. Ill wire the plasmacutter stand to it and the cable to the device. Its a shielded one.
The Earthing Rod isnt 8 fest long. About a Meter smth like that and made of Stainless with a 12 mm2 cable.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Hi,
after a long time i finally got the Plasma working! I got a new Kjellberg PA20W that cuts 25 mm Steel with 60 Amps. Its silent cutting, needs way less air then the chinese one before and the cut quality should be better. Should. But thats some issues with the table itself.

I'm currently thinking about the Y-Axis and the steppers. I'd like to use some spring to get even contact to the rack and pinion. I'm not sure how to do this easily without tearing everything apart. Again...
Any ideas about that? On side is wobbeling and the cutting edge looks awful; Holes won't even get round.
Currently its just the stepper in a fixed position on an aluminium plate with a hole.
asuratman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by asuratman »

Im using this piece of shit: https://www.poscope.com/product/plasmasensout/

this looklike good thc !
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Where should that link go to?
asuratman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by asuratman »

Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Yeah, and now? I already use the Polabs THC. It works finally.

I wanted some suggestions on how to bring tension on the stepper that it runs without slop.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

An accurate build should not need any spring loaded pinion tension. I don't on mine.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Rodw wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:39 pm An accurate build should not need any spring loaded pinion tension. I don't on mine.
True indeed however spring pressure is not a bad thing (assuming your not side loading the shaft too much) and will help account for gear wear over time.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

You can't drill 300 holes in a row with an really perfect lineup within a hunderts of a mm. No chance by hand.
I have to get some tension on the gear to get the wobble out. The first half of the table is wobbly and the other half nearly perfect. It cuts nearly perfect round holes. And its annoying drilling every hole again - thats the reason why you build a CNC Plasma: Not drilling every hole.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Hello there, it's me again. I'm still thinking about improving my table and with that also the stepper tension question. What about this thing here: https://www.avidcnc.com/pro-rack-and-pi ... p-226.html
I will cut off a part of the side stands with the NEMA attached and will screw that thing on. But im curious if i get that same thing somewhere else cheaper. 200 bucks for one side is a lot after all.

I cut 10 sheets of metal since the last post here, not much. But the parts maybe come out better doing that.
And the steppers are very loud direct driven to the gear. Theres no translation between stepper and rack that would turn the stepper speed up. If i run this machine on 20 m/min it got a nice volume. I let it run on 5 m/min its terrible loud. Or is that a problem with the steppers themselves? Or the drivers?
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

I used these but you may need to change your rack too
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 0.0.CTymTE
If you have an accurate build, there is no need for the spring loaded pinion
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Retro wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:38 pm Hello there, it's me again. I'm still thinking about improving my table and with that also the stepper tension question. What about this thing here: https://www.avidcnc.com/pro-rack-and-pi ... p-226.html
I have several of the AvidCNC Pro tables which use those and they work great. Of course you will need the racks to go with them.
David
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

But its not accurate enough to have the same tension all over the place. I have to go with something springloaded.

My racks are "crossthreaded", they cost me a lot of money back then. They have less backlash than normal straight ones. It was promised back then.
Can i replace that part that goes on the racks? It looks like, its only on top without any threads or smth.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

The cut and the pitch of your racks will need to match those on the Avid assemblies.
David
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Yeah, but what if i replace the one on the gear with the one i already have?

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”