Using CNC Router Table for Plasma?

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
stompjrkz400
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Using CNC Router Table for Plasma?

Post by stompjrkz400 »

i have a whole extra electronics and z axis setup from my old torchmate that i'm thinking about using on a cnc router table but with a plasma cutter. just for fun, or may sell it locally. any guess why this wouldn't be a decent setup for a hobbyist?

i need to look into the torch mate software because I'm worried that the worm gear drive might be a different ratio then my torchmates 3:1 belt drive.

https://bulkman3d.com/product/ld-cnc/

thanks
jonn3y
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Using CNC Router Table for Plasma?

Post by jonn3y »

I was just looking at this thinking the same thing. Just need a thc height control and this would be a easy option.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

The will need to be changes to the software operations, first off Routers use Home positive and Plasma uses home negative. And the post processor will need to be set up for Plasma, and the tool info will have a big difference in the cut speed.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Plasma cutting and routing have quite different design parameters. Plasma has no cutting forces and is looking for speed and acceleration and therefore have lightweight gantries, routers need to be more robust and have to handle the cutting forces.

Some people get way with a multi purpose system and I thought about it but once I got my head around these differences, I elected to just make a plasma cutter
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

You would be suprised at what can be used for plasma cutting, I have built and used several. Some worked better than others (much better).

As said before, speed and acceleration are key. A perfect machine can achieve greater than 600IPM at .3Gs. This is not easy to achieve without some major engineering going into the design. A lightweight gantry can help achieve this, but a lightweight gantry comes at a cost, they can vibrate, and flex under heavy acceleration forces.

Other things I look at when I know the machine is going to be used as a plasma cutter:

-How to incorporate a downdraft or water table.

-Strength of the table top.

-If screws are used I prefer ACME Lead Screws over Ball Screws. Lead Screws are more tolerant to plasma dust. As a minimum a screw should be at least a 5start screw.

-Are belts used? Belts can stretch slightly during high acceleration causing little wiggles when changing direction or stopping. The larger the machine the more likely this is to happen.

-How are the screws and rails shielded from the plasma dust? Can they be shielded?

-How are the rails done, Should be steel. plastic or steel on aluminum will not hold up very well.

-How robust is the Z axis. You need a high acceleration rate to move the Z axis up and down to achieve the best cut. And while you wont be putting a heavy router on the table, some plasma torches and cables can be very heavy.

The machine you indicated could certainly be made to plasma cut, will it yield high quality cuts, I doubt it.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”