Powermax 45 cuts out for a second sometimes

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
blaze715
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Powermax 45 cuts out for a second sometimes

Post by blaze715 »

I'm running a percision plasma with candcnc software. I'm geting good cuts my only problem is every now and then my plasma will cut off for maybe a sec then come back on. The torch light on the computer will not got off but the arc light on my dtch module will go off when this happens. Any suggestions thanks.
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Problem when cutting

Post by trucutcnc »

If the torch light is staying on, it's likely that the software isn't shutting it off. Could be an issue with the plasma or an intermittent faulty connection in the wiring. Who's plasma are you running? Are there any faults on the plasma when it happens?
--------------------------------------------
http://www.trucutcnc.com
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
blaze715
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by blaze715 »

I'm running a hypertherm 45. No faults on the plasma. The torch will just go off for a sec then come back on while runnin a program.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The Powermax 45 has safety trigger circuitry that will only allow the torch to refire after a lost cut if the on signal was released, then reactivated. So...if the start output from your electronics was staying on...a Powermax cannot refire. This would lead me to believe that the start output relay in your electronics is bouncing.....which will cause the plasma to shut off then turn back on. You can verify this by wiring a simple switch accross the start input to the Powermax (leaving the connection as is to the cnc)...when the cut starts close your start toggle switch and leave it closed....the powermax should stay on.

Sounds like an electrical noise issue that probably can be cured with a ground rod and isolated (UPS) input power for the electronics and the PC.

Jim Colt

blaze715 wrote:I'm running a hypertherm 45. No faults on the plasma. The torch will just go off for a sec then come back on while runnin a program.
blaze715
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Powermax 45 cuts out for a second sometimes

Post by blaze715 »

Computer problems. Got it figured out. Thanks
a1fab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by a1fab »

what did you end up doing to correct the issue if you don't mind, I am having the same issue occasionally where I lose the arc and it continues to run and sometimes does not try to refire. It happens more with THC enabled and I have found that slowing down the ipm helps somewhat. Been cutting 18ga at 30 amps
blaze715
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by blaze715 »

Did a reinstall on windows. I had a bunch of stuff on the computer i didnt need. It was also the cheapest thing to try and fix the problem. I have nothing on it but what ever it takes to start the computer and run mach 3. Mine was hit or miss. I could run all day and have no problems and other times it would skip so much made me want to take it to the scrap yard.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”