Powermax 45 question

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
atkinson1326
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 45 question

Post by atkinson1326 »

I just purchased my first table and plasma I have done a bunch of google searches on pierce thickness for the hypertherm powermax 45 and can not find much info from someone who has the system can anyone here that owns a powermax 45 or has seen one used tell me how thick of metal I can pierce and cut with my plasma and maybe a pic or two of some of your cut quality I am mainly wanting to cut 1/2" plate any advice will be extremely helpful thank you for your time
Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Powermax 45 question

Post by Marty »

hi

the Hypertherm owners/operators manual has reference tables for all the settings for torch setup

If you do not have that manual, it is downloadable from the Hypertherm site. it is handy to have a hard copy of the manual near your machine for quick reference, not sure how to get hard copy , but Hypertherm customer service is excellent

in your google searches, try the search term "Hypertherm"

good luck with your machine
Ignition Metal Art Design

Give a man a fish and you have taught him where to come for a fish; Teach him to use Google and the Search Engine on Plasma Spider and he will be able to learn more than you could ever teach him yourself
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

If you go to this post Jim Colt gives links to the manuals in one of the last posts.

http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9382
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The Powermax45 is conservatively rated by Hypertherm to pierce to 3/8" on machines that do not have a full torch height control.....and can pierc 1/2" on machines with a full function height control. I say conservative because I have used my Powermax45 to pierce 5/8" on many occasions.

The mechanized cutting specs are listed for all Hyperthem products on the product information pages of the www.hypertherm.com web site. Note that even though the Powermax45 can be used for hand or machine cutting...the specs for machine cutting are somewhat different than for hand cutting.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

atkinson1326 wrote:I just purchased my first table and plasma I have done a bunch of google searches on pierce thickness for the hypertherm powermax 45 and can not find much info from someone who has the system can anyone here that owns a powermax 45 or has seen one used tell me how thick of metal I can pierce and cut with my plasma and maybe a pic or two of some of your cut quality I am mainly wanting to cut 1/2" plate any advice will be extremely helpful thank you for your time
atkinson1326
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by atkinson1326 »

Thanks for all the info guys I have a hard copy of the specs for the machine the reason I asked is because I talked to a guy that has a plasma cam with a hypertherm 1650 and he told me his was rated for 1 1/4 but he said it won't pierce that thick and he told me that all I could probably do with mine is 1/4"
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

atkinson1326 wrote:Thanks for all the info guys I have a hard copy of the specs for the machine the reason I asked is because I talked to a guy that has a plasma cam with a hypertherm 1650 and he told me his was rated for 1 1/4 but he said it won't pierce that thick and he told me that all I could probably do with mine is 1/4"
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The 1650 is factory rated for piercing 3/4", and it will do it with no issues, I'll stand behind that 100%. A Powermax 45 will (as I posted earlier) will pierce 3/8" and (1/2" with a full function height control).

The 1-1/4" rating for the 1650 is not for piercing...it is for edge start cutting.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

atkinson1326 wrote:Thanks for all the info guys I have a hard copy of the specs for the machine the reason I asked is because I talked to a guy that has a plasma cam with a hypertherm 1650 and he told me his was rated for 1 1/4 but he said it won't pierce that thick and he told me that all I could probably do with mine is 1/4"

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”