Cutting corrugated steel

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
engine_boy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Cutting corrugated steel

Post by engine_boy »

Here is my problem - I am trying to cut 26 ga corrugated steel roofing and my torch pierces but immediately stops and the AVHC states no plasma detected.

I have a Torchmate 2 with a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 using Fine Cut nozzle. Just can't figure out how to set it up. I have turned the amperage down to 20, speed down to 50 to start with, no changes.

Anyone ever cut anything this thin? Any ideas? I have the Blue display AVHC.

Thanks,

James
dgeorgester
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Cutting corrugated steel

Post by dgeorgester »

A little trick you can try is to put a thicker plate under the corrugated plate where you're going to do your pierce point. Once the torch is moving, you should be good.
Samson 510
Hypertherm Powermax 85, Lincoln 256
AutoCAD
GPM870
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by GPM870 »

I have cut a lot of 30ga. galvanized flat steel. It cuts fairly well but a lot of dross because I can't get the speed high enough on the table. My settings for speed is 325ipm at 25 amps using shielded 45amp nozzle. You have to use the expanded metal setting to maintain the arc. If I don't have it on expanded setting it will do the same as you stated... fire the torch and go out right away. It is a little hard on consumables but a lot faster than tin snips. On corrugated steel you will have to slow it down enough for the torch height to keep up.
I hope it helps some.
GM
Powermax 85
Sheetcam
Mach 3
4 x 4
burntables table
ornametals
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ornametals »

i have the same plasma set up and i had same problem. it seems as if the pierce blow away too much material. i set the pierce time to 0 seconds and it took care of the problem for me.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”