cutting aluminum

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

cutting aluminum

Post by icmplasma85 »

I mainly work with steel, but I have some jobs coming up that I need to cut aluminum. I tried cutting a few test cuts on 1/4" and the torch dove into the aluminum badly. I always follow book specs and havent had any problem cutting steel from the very beginning. I have a plasmacam dhc2 and a powermax 65, they are both new, work great and love both of them and Im positive whatever is going wrong is a fault on my end, just havent figured it out. Any help is appreciated.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
Fountaine
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: cutting aluminum

Post by Fountaine »

Do you have a THC, if not how can you increase your volts to get the torch up?
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by icmplasma85 »

yes i have the basic heighth control and my min and max settings are 3 and 12
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

With the basic height control you need to refer to your PlasmaCam video manual....and go through the procedure to set the correct z axis offset. Best bet is to go to the plasmacam website and get on the user forum...and have the other users help with this question.

I use a PlasmaCam with the advanced height control.....never have a torch diving problem on any material.

Jim Colt

icmplasma85 wrote:yes i have the basic heighth control and my min and max settings are 3 and 12
d bushey
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by d bushey »

I had the same problem yesterday with .125 aluminum and raised the arc volts to around 140 problem solved. Also using hypertherm 165 with torch height control.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”