Wrong direction!

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Wrong direction!

Post by plain ol Bill »

Ah man - just read the post by Jim Colt about cut directions. Call me old and senile I guess - I have been cutting the wrong direction since I started then! I have always cut interior cuts CW and exterior CCW. Now I have to go out in the morning, reverse directions and see the difference. I get very good cut edge quality with my Powermax 1250 with little angularity so it will be interesting to see the difference.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Wrong direction!

Post by Gamelord »

My motto - if it ain't broke...don't fix it. :)
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Keep us posted Bill!! :D
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

Cut some 12 ga. this morning - I'm not quite blind yet but darned if I could see any difference in the cut. I'm sure in heavier plate you might but I rarely cut heavier than 10 ga.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
jim8014
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jim8014 »

Bill, when our machine was up and running, that 1/2 plate I showed you we cut the wrong direction, Honestly, it looked as good as the 1/2" plate that Farwest cut for us.
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

Jim like I said I have been cutting the wrong direction I guess since I started using a CNC table and have never noticed any problems. With that said I am going to get used to checking the "reverse cut direction" button in Sheetcam. If Jim Colt says it as far as I am concerned that is gospel when it comes to plasma!
I also need to go back and review all my cutting tools for different materials and get them closer to being in line with Hypertherm reccomendations. I have tweaked a lot of my tools for particular jobs and forgotten to change them back again.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

the difference in cut direction effects which side of the cut ejects the swarf back out of the cut, same as with a conventional rotary tool turning clockwise, the right side of the tool throws the chips backwards out of the cut cleanly, while the left side pushes chips into the cut where there is no place for the chips to go except up or down or clog in the bit until it gets to the right side where it can exit cleanly

with plasma that means the left side of the cut is more likely to be more ragged than the right side of the cut due to the plasma jet swirling clockwise, which means clockwise for outside cuts and counterclockwise for inside cuts should leave a cleaner edge on the part rather than on the scrap
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

I also believe it has to do with angularity of cut edge with the right side with the least angle. Many times I will cut with the inside and the outside cuts with the same direction. My machine is sloppy and this way each cut has the same errors. Pieces come out looking better. My products are only decorative.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”