Vertical bender using JD2 dies

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Vertical bender using JD2 dies

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, You will be able to download in a short time. You can use the search function in ht upper right to look at older posts many nice projects here.

Have fun
Tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
FL0WL0W
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by FL0WL0W »

Thank you for the awesome plans! I just got all of the parts to put one of these together and plan to do a build series.

The last pieces that i need are going to be the plasma cut parts. I just got quoted ~$650 from my local metal shop to plasma cut out the parts out of 3/8". I have also been taking a look at the Rogue Fab bender and it looks like they are only using a single piece of 1/4". In Y'alls opinion. do you really think it needs 5/8s worth of material? or could a single piece of 3/8s work? maybe with some added bracing?

After getting that quote, i am kicking my cnc plasma table build into high gear. It's already about 65% done, so this just gives me more motivation to get it done! My plasma cutter says it is capable of 3/8" so i will probably end up building it doubled up anyway. I am all about being over built.This looks really well put together, and something that could be an heirloom tool lasting multiple generations!
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thor »

Thanks for the files.

Wondering, why are the uprights bolted to the pcs across the square tubes? Could these not be made as one pc?

I'm going to be modifying the files anyway to work with the larger model 32 dies, but just wondering if there was a reason for the bolt together.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thor,
The OP has not been active on this forum since early 2019, so It is doubtful that he will respond to your question.
David
bc81bc
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by bc81bc »

FL0WL0W wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:31 pm Thank you for the awesome plans! I just got all of the parts to put one of these together and plan to do a build series.

The last pieces that i need are going to be the plasma cut parts. I just got quoted ~$650 from my local metal shop to plasma cut out the parts out of 3/8". I have also been taking a look at the Rogue Fab bender and it looks like they are only using a single piece of 1/4". In Y'alls opinion. do you really think it needs 5/8s worth of material? or could a single piece of 3/8s work? maybe with some added bracing?

After getting that quote, i am kicking my cnc plasma table build into high gear. It's already about 65% done, so this just gives me more motivation to get it done! My plasma cutter says it is capable of 3/8" so i will probably end up building it doubled up anyway. I am all about being over built.This looks really well put together, and something that could be an heirloom tool lasting multiple generations!
These are probably great plans if you can cut out the parts yourself but to spend $650 to get the pieces cut out doesn't make sense when the model 3 bender is only around $300 bucks and its all laser cut with perfect pin holes and theres lots of plans kicking around to mount it vertically if you want.
I bend a lot of tube from simple 4 point roll cages to full out tube chassis and I've had the manual model 3 and now the hydraulic model 32 and there both great and inexpensive for the bender itself the dies are where the cost is involved.
ALso something to keep in mind with vertical bending is ceiling height if your in a normal home garage you right out of space real quick.

Probably to late since you posted a month ago but just something to think about.
bc81bc

Post by bc81bc »

Also something else to keep in mind is the model 3 has been discontinued but the say they will continue to carry dies but you know that will only go on for so long.
Koenbro
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Koenbro »

Thank you for submitting this design. How tall are the vertical arms? I am having some problems with scaling, and I just want to make sure my imported dxf file (in SheetCAM) is correct.
Avid CNC RouterParts Pro 4'x2' with Hypertherm 45XP
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Koenbro wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:52 pm Thank you for submitting this design. How tall are the vertical arms? I am having some problems with scaling, and I just want to make sure my imported dxf file (in SheetCAM) is correct.
Vertical Dimension.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

FL0WL0W
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by FL0WL0W »

bc81bc wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:16 pm
FL0WL0W wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:31 pm Thank you for the awesome plans! I just got all of the parts to put one of these together and plan to do a build series.

These are probably great plans if you can cut out the parts yourself but to spend $650 to get the pieces cut out doesn't make sense when the model 3 bender is only around $300 bucks and its all laser cut with perfect pin holes and theres lots of plans kicking around to mount it vertically if you want.
I bend a lot of tube from simple 4 point roll cages to full out tube chassis and I've had the manual model 3 and now the hydraulic model 32 and there both great and inexpensive for the bender itself the dies are where the cost is involved.
ALso something to keep in mind with vertical bending is ceiling height if your in a normal home garage you right out of space real quick.

Probably to late since you posted a month ago but just something to think about.
Oh height is no issue.14 feet to the rafters and 20 feet to the peak of the roof and if I needed more height I could just do it outside. still need to get my plasma finished :p been procrastinating too much
jabtronic
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jabtronic »

Can this design be modified to fit the new model 32 dies?

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”