Spitting and sputtering sound

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
farmer53
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Spitting and sputtering sound

Post by farmer53 »

I have read the posts about spitting and sputtering noise But haven?t found a solution. Are there any electronic components in the Hypertherm 600 that can go bad that can cause this sputtering or can moisture that I can?t detect cause it. Or any other suggestions.

I have a Hypertherm 600. When I raise the torch and fire it it spits and sputters. Sometimes worse than others. Sometimes the arc will move to one side or move around.

I have had this problem from time to time but now it has gotten real bad and the cuts and dross are terrible. Sometimes while cutting the arc will randomly not cut all the way through for an inch or two but throw sparks on top of the metal then cut through again. I am working with 14 gauge hot rolled.

I have a PAC 123 machine torch and a RT 60 machine torch. It happens with both. I have changed swirl rings, changed retaining caps, changed nozzles and electrodes, and O-rings.
I am using fine cut consumables. I have taken the RT-60 completely apart and blown through every opening. I have tried air pressure from just under 70 psi. to over 80 psi.

My air goes from the compressor tank about 75 feet to a 300 gallon tank close to the table. It goes in a moisture trap that has a metallic filter and comes out of that tank through another moisture trap of the same type. It then goes in a small tank about 2 gallon in size with a sock filled with oil dry to help collect moisture than through a motor guard filter.

The motor guard filter seams to be dry. The last time it was changed it made no difference.

When I attach my Miller 875 with a hand held torch to the same air supply with a 60 amp nozzle I don?t have the spitting and sputtering.

Thanks for any suggestions
farmer53
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Spitting and sputtering sound

Post by jimcolt »

Certainly does not make sense to me...since you say the Miller unit does not make the sputtering sound.

Without that...I would suspect moisture or particulates in the air. Are you using all genuine Hypertherm consumables? Can you post a picture (good closeup) of the front and back of a used nozzle, and the hafnium end of a used electrode? Have you disassembled and cleaned the internal filter bowl? Have you looked at the p;lunger assembly (where the electrode seats and gets its electrical connection inside your torch) for signs of pitting/arcing?

Since you have two torches,...and they are of different design...and they both exhibit the same symptoms...then I would suggest that the issue is either in the air supply or the power supply, although if it was in the air supply I would expect the same symptoms from the Miller.
It may be a good idea to contact Hypertherm technical service.
Jim Colt
farmer53
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Spitting and sputtering sound

Post by farmer53 »

Thank you Jim for your reply.

I went to Kansas City today ( about 70 miles from home ) to help a friend. We just happened to drive by a welding supply business. We stopped so I could ask about a Powermax 65. It just happened they were also a service center.

The man I spoke to was extremely nice. When I mentioned you suggested contacting Hypertherm support and that I had planned to do so later today he just went ahead and called them. I spoke to someone there that again was extremely nice. His questions covered everything I had done. When I asked about anything electronic he said that there could be a voltage leak on the main board but that was very unlikely. I asked about the pilot arc relay he said it was also very unlikely but could possibly cause trouble.

Some times with a new electrode and nozzle ( fine cut ) the torch fires and goes out repeatedly. If I remove the shield it fires and stays on but as soon as I replace the shield once again it fires and goes right out but sometimes it will fire and stay on. With used consumables it usually fires and stays on. This is with the torch raised up and not cutting.

It just happened that the service center where I was had a pilot arc relay on the shelf that had been there for some time ( pretty unlikely to not have to order one ). It is a newer style than what is in the machine and a couple of the fasteners for it are missing but I hope to have it changed in the next couple of days. Hopefully it will make a difference.

Thanks
farmer53

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”