weld function

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

weld function

Post by wickedinhere »

I have a question about the weld function, i have used it and it works great. When i draw a circle then another circle so that they are one inch apart, then i import an image and overlap the image on the inside circle. When i try to weld the image with the circle it gets rid of the image and leaves the slight overhang. I need the exact opposite get rid of the overhang and leave the image.
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: weld function

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

there's a million ways, depends on which part of which shape is to be solid

in the 1st case (top images), the plane has holes in it, so cannot be cut out of a circle, to form a ring COMBINE the two circles then WELD the plane to that

2nd case (middle images) the plane has no holes, so can be done as above, or to make the plane a hole in the circle COMBINE them

3rd case (bottom) the plane is too big, draw a smaller temporary circle (red) then INTERSECT it with the plane, then do one of the above
Attachments
welding.png
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

Thanks that helped alot.
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

That will help me also. Thanks, Gary.
GWS.Arkansas
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by GWS.Arkansas »

hey gary ,
I am still trying to figure out how you weld objects together. Here i s what i am doing. First I draw a circle and then a circle that is a bit bigger then i put a rectangle on the inside of them . I click on combine and then weld and all it leaves me is the outer circle can you help me?
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

If the three objects are concentric (inner objects are inside but not overlapping), combine will leave you with a ring with a square inside the hole. Combining the circles only, does the exact same, except the square will remain an independent shape.
combine
combine
combine1.png (11.08 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
there can be any number of closed interior sub-shapes, forming any number of levels of closed sub-shapes inside other closed shapes, combine leaves the outermost shape solid, the next level interior sub-shape(s) becomes a hole, if there is another level inside those holes it becomes solid, if there is a level inside that solid it becomes a hole, and so on
multi-level combine
multi-level combine
combine2.png (13.21 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
combine creates a compound object, a shape with multiple sub-shapes

they can be uncombined (break-apart command) and all the original shapes are still there

combine works funny if closed shapes overlap, it creates a solid with a hole wherever they overlap

weld works just the opposite (sort of)

weld is not for solid objects inside other solid objects, that just makes one big solid

weld is for joining two intersecting overlapping shapes, any overlapping solid areas become joined, the intersection between them is removed, forming a single non-overlapping non-intersecting shape, which cannot be unwelded to get back to the original overlapping shapes
weld
weld
combine3.png (9.14 KiB) Viewed 1196 times

group is similar to combine, except it forms a simple collection of shapes rather than a compound shape

a group is a selection mechanism, it groups multiple objects into a single selection

a group does not form a compound shape and groups cannot be welded or combined with other objects to form a compound shape, they must be ungrouped first

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for cutting, it is a good idea to ungroup and combine everything as a final step, and make sure it fills with color where it's supposed to be solid, if it won't fill correctly, then it won't cut correctly
crazy59860
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by crazy59860 »

is there a book on corel draw X3 or tutorials somewhere? I am new to this stuff and am trying to learn how to draw my own stuff. I suck at it right now and fight with Corel Draw every time.

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”