Use CUT PATHS for NOTATIONS and DIMENSIONS

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Use CUT PATHS for NOTATIONS and DIMENSIONS

Post by Joe Jones »

With just a little out of the box thinking, you can use CUT PATHS for notations and dimensions, and group them as a separate entity of the design. Then when you want to cut the piece, you simply select the GROUP of notations and delete it!

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Use CUT PATHS for NOTATIONS and DIMENSIONS

Post by sonbakler »

Thanks Joe, helpful video.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I wish DesignEdge would allow us to place dimensions, notations and other DATA into the drawing that would be IGNORED by the "Convert To Cut Path" function. Imagine how great THAT would be!

Since CUT PATHS cannot be converted to cut paths, I chose to convert all dimensions and notation TO cut paths, which solves the problem.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

I often group dimensions and then move them all out of the way (or back in again) using a reference pout (center of a circle). This is an easy method to overcome the lack of layers.

Here's a video about how to use a reference point - in this case was for bend lines but easily use for layers of a sign or dimensions. You can have several circles out in space to keep many things separate and easily move them into and out of the part you're using.

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:28 am I often group dimensions and then move them all out of the way (or back in again) using a reference pout (center of a circle). This is an easy method to overcome the lack of layers.

Here's a video about how to use a reference point - in this case was for bend lines but easily use for layers of a sign or dimensions. You can have several circles out in space to keep many things separate and easily move them into and out of the part you're using.

Yep. I use that method and it works well. Create two random circles, one near the work and another off to one side. Group everything that you want to MOVE out of the way, and move the group from the center of one circle to the center of the other circle. When you need them back, you MOVE them back into the drawing the same way. I wish PlasmaCam would give us a NOTATION layer.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”