Inscape Photo to Outline Design

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inscape Photo to Outline Design

Post by adbuch »

Ben - the video you suggested above is interesting. The author also has one on nodes which I found instructive.
David
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ben de lappe »

adbuch wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:53 am
ben de lappe wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:29 pm It's as though they are weighted and have a certain pull when manipulated and that right there is where my style comes from.

Ben - would you please expand on that. What do you mean that "It's as though they are weighted and have a certain pull when manipulated"?
Are you making a comparison between TMCad and CorelDraw? Could you show an example contrasting the behavior between TMCad and CorelDraw?

I am very interested to know how this affects your style.

Thanks,
David
Yes, I'm comparing TM CAD and CorelDraw and it would be my pleasure. Hopefully a brief description along with this screenshot will shed some light. When using the Node Edit tool In TM CAD the smoothness of the arc being drawn depends upon the distance from one node to the other and the radius of the arc being drawn. In this example I've drawn a simple wave design using only curve nodes. Note how the points of each curve are rounded, not sharp. Interior as well as exterior. A kind of whip effect if you will. When these curve nodes are manipulated in this manner it's almost as though there is a certain 'gravity' or 'weighted' feel to them when adjusting for smoothness. After many years of use I can actually feel it and yes, that right there is where my style comes from.
Screenshot (305).png
Also, I really like the hawk you drew. I've tried The B Spline tool and other methods in CorelDraw and will be checking out the other information you posted as well. Thank you!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Ben - for comparison - which tool are you using in CorelDraw to attempt to achieve the same effect? The closest I can come to your TMCad drawing is to use the CorelDraw B-spline tool.

David
node wave 2.jpg
node wave 1.jpg
node wave 3.jpg
node wave 4.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Ben - I'm happy that you liked the hawk I drew. The CorelDraw B-spline tool worked out perfectly for that one. Your comment about the CorelDraw nodes having a "weighted" feel to them got me wondering about some of the other programs. AI and Design Edge have tools similar to the CorelDraw B-Spine tool. Design Edge calls it "spline" tool, and AI calls it "Curvature" tool. I used the screen shot of your original TMCad nodewave and traced it with both AI and Design Edge. You can see the results below. The AI node behavior is pretty much exactly like TMCad, while the Design Edge node behavior is almost identical to that of CorelDraw.

Can you show an example where the "Whip Effect" of the TMCad Node Edit tool would come into play for your work as far as where your style comes from? Would this be for actual tracing, or more for freehand work?

Thanks,
David
Nodewave AI 1.jpg
Nodewave AI 2.jpg
Nodewave DE 1.jpg
Nodewave CD 1.jpg
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

David - I apologize for the delayed reply, so busy here.

TM has the weighted feel that I'm attempting to describe. If you click on one of the curve nodes in the wave sample and pull it way out of proportion, with the left mouse button held down move it around. See how the arcs change relative to their spacing? Using this program since '07 I can feel it. The B-Spline tool in Corel was indeed similar and I see what you mean about two nodes placed closely together making a corner. Perhaps it's something I can get used to with practice. Perhaps not. :HaHa

I'm having a hard time citing a specific example in a drawing showing how this contributes to my style. Every file I draw is by hand with the mouse. To me it's an overall effect of smoothness, low node count and overall quality more than how details look. All I know for sure is that people who follow my work say they can look at a drawing and tell it's mine. Upon showing me images taken from the internet they were correct.

The AI results look quite promising and while I'd like to try it out can no way purchase it at this time. I appreciate all the information on the various drawing tools. :Like Thank you!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Ben - thanks for your response. I have been playing around with TMCad Node edit tool and I most definitely see what you mean. Also I think there would be an advantage to the TM Node edit tool over the CorelDraw B-Spline tool in that you can convert from one node type to another "on the fly". With the CorelDraw B-Spline tool you are stuck with one node type (as far as I can tell) and that is the reason I drop down 2 nodes very close together when I wish to change directions abruptly. For precise work, having those 2 nodes close together may not be the best thing. Once the B-Spline drawing path is completed, it can then be Converted to Curves and the individual nodes edited to change node type (Cusp, Smooth, or Symmetrical) as shown in the last images below.

For those not familiar with TMCad (the software that would normally come with a TorchMate plasma table, but can be purchased separately) - here is the short cut menu that pops up any time you right click while you are in the Node edit mode.
TNCad node tool.jpg
node tools.jpg
CorelDraw nodes and lines.jpg
cd node tools.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Torchmate software download.
https://torchmate.com/training-header/t ... -downloads

I have this trial version on one of my computers, and the paid version on a second computer which I use exclusively for design work.

David
TM Cad trial version.jpg
CNC_rowdy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Ya'll guys are perfect at this, so great. Thanks for showing your designs. Maybe I can learn something.
Timbo
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Advanced Design Edge, Machine Control, Height Control
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
Hypertherm XP 45 Plasma Cutter
CNC_rowdy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

David, Ben and all, thanks so much for this info above to tracing to try and get me going. I am a complete rookie to all this type of drawing.
Thanks again,
Timbo
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

CNC_rowdy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:40 pm David, Ben and all, thanks so much for this info above to tracing to try and get me going. I am a complete rookie to all this type of drawing.
Thanks again,
Timbo
Timbo - we sort of got "off track" from your original question. You were looking for a way to use the Inkscape auto trace your dog to at least get the outline, and then to add some features (mouth, nose, eyes, etc.) Or to use the auto trace to produce the outline plus the internal features. I was just looking at this again. See if any of this makes sense to you, and if so - then I will elaborate with the step-by-step process.

David

Original image with black background added.
dog 1.jpg
dog 1.jpg (9.24 KiB) Viewed 328 times
Opened with Paint.net and inverted colors.
dog 2.jpg
dog 2.jpg (9.26 KiB) Viewed 328 times
Still in Paint.net - adjusted brightness/contrast and saved as jpeg for import to Inkscape.
dog 3.jpg
dog 3.jpg (9.61 KiB) Viewed 328 times
Imported to Inkscape and "Path, Trace Bitmap". Then changed fill color to red and adjusted opacity so it is slightly transparent.
Then using the original image as a guide (original image directly underneath the bitmap trace) used the Bezier draw tool to draw some various shapes to match the original image. For each shape - select shape and bitmap trace result and then "Path,Union". For plasma cutting, some of the small features will fall out when cut. This could be remedied using some creative editing, or cut as a 2 layer piece and attach these small pieces to the backer.
dog 4.jpg
This is what it would look like when cut. The center of the eye would fall out when cut. I could see where drawing in a few more details would make it look more realistic and closer to the actual photo. You could experiment to achieve the best result.
dog 5.jpg
CNC_rowdy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

David, thanks for your replies. Yes I kinda liked the outline view of the dog you made earlier, with in internal outline designs, the mouth, nose, etc..
Your above picture of my dog looks great. I guess I need to get more trained in Inkscape. What version of Inkscape do you may I ask? Yours looks different than mine. It looks like it is easier to work with than mine. I try and follow all your posts. there is much info in them. I thank you and all the others for your help ya'll provide. Any step by step instructions is great for me. It would be nice if you could just scan a picture and then just convert to cut file ready to go. (just wishing)
Thanks again,
Timbo
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Hi Timbo - yes it would be nice if you could just scan the picture and it turned out great. But most of the time, that doesn't happen. I am using Inkscape version 1.2.2.
1.2.2.jpg
I assume when you say you liked the one I did earlier, you are referring to the one where I used Paint.net to trace over the photo and save as a jpeg, and then import to Inkscape for the "Path, Trace Bitmap".
dog from paint.net.jpg
dog from paint.net.jpg (48.85 KiB) Viewed 262 times

Let me know which method you need more information on and I will try to provide a more detailed description of my workflow. I did put a pretty detailed description of my process earlier in the post (for the one I used Paint.net/Inkscape to create).

David
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

CNC_rowdy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:40 pm David, Ben and all, thanks so much for this info above to tracing to try and get me going. I am a complete rookie to all this type of drawing.
Thanks again,
Timbo
Most welcome Timbo. The methods I've developed and shown in this thread exist ONLY because there was no software that could trace a pic and come anywhere near to producing a quality file. They're derived from desperation really. Either learn to draw something or accept the fact I now own a $25,000 paper weight. :HaHa It took me a long time. Untold hours of aggravation and ugly language. Cut piece falling apart and I don't know why. So you can't be any greener than I was. Somewhere in this process it occurred to me (like an epiphany :Yay) that the plasma torch was similar to a sharpie pen travelling around the material. Except when it makes it back to the start point the area in the middle WILL fall out. Life altering info right there... :HaHa

A lot of people do fine work tracing an image with a program as David had demonstrated in his examples and maybe that'll be the route that suits your style. However as you learn and figure these things out don't be afraid to pick up the node edit/pen tool and create your own detail. Once you can do that effectively the cnc plasma world is your oyster.
CNC_rowdy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Yes Ben and David, ya'll have listed all kinds of goodies I can try. I have a Go Torch with no room for the 4 x 4. You mentioned sharpie pen above, that is one of my next projects to make, a sharpie holder. I designed a bracket to fit on my snap n' cut. I am also wanting to put a piece of poster board on the table and make my own portraits with a pen. I had an accident awhile back, so right now I can't use my right arm to move material on the bed of the Go Torch to cut. So I'll try sharpies for a while. I'm just interested in making family portraits, dogs etc. I just want to get better at tracing outline drawings, as I am a complete rookie. I will follow yours and David's post, as there is good info there.
thanks again,
Timbo
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Timbo - I have sent you a PM about the sharpie pen holder for your plasma table.

David
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

CNC_rowdy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:14 pm Yes Ben and David, ya'll have listed all kinds of goodies I can try. I have a Go Torch with no room for the 4 x 4. You mentioned sharpie pen above, that is one of my next projects to make, a sharpie holder. I designed a bracket to fit on my snap n' cut. I am also wanting to put a piece of poster board on the table and make my own portraits with a pen. I had an accident awhile back, so right now I can't use my right arm to move material on the bed of the Go Torch to cut. So I'll try sharpies for a while. I'm just interested in making family portraits, dogs etc. I just want to get better at tracing outline drawings, as I am a complete rookie. I will follow yours and David's post, as there is good info there.
thanks again,
Timbo
Why my brain compared the plasma torch with a sharpie pen back then but did not go to the next step of actually incorporating said sharpie I'll never know. :HaHa One more example of "Why didn't I think of that" I suppose. I believe your idea of portraits is great by the way.

Sorry to hear about your injury and I hope you mend quickly. Maybe it's an opportunity to focus on drawing as the mouse will be easier on the arm than heavy material. I can say my spine injury did wonders for my drawing skills. :Yay I couldn't do much shop wise so I drew all manner of things and posted here in the file sharing forum years ago. That's actually how I got started working files for others.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Back when I got my plasma table (only around 8 years ago) I did actually make a primitive sharpie holder and drew parts on the metal instead of cutting. For me - this was a way to not waste metal while I was leaning about drawing the parts and wanted to see how they might actually cut. It's a great idea - and yes you could have some fun drawing portraits to sharpen your drawing skills. Be sure to show us what you come up with.

David
CNC_rowdy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Yes, David and Ben, when I first got my Go Torch it only came with machine only control software. I rigged a sharpie up on it then to see what it would do. It would draw good, but always trace the lines between each geometry because I did not have any height control on the machine. Now I have advanced height control and can set it back up somehow and give it a try. If (or when) I get this set up, I'll post some drawings. As always, thanks for you info.
Timbo
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder

Return to “Inkscape”